Changes to dining may come soon

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst updated senators on recently implemented dining changes and plans for next year at Wednesday night's Duke Student Government meeting.

Things have been changing in the Great Hall and will continue to change next year, Wulforst said. Breakfast has already been extended until 10:15 a.m., and Wulforst said he hopes the dining hall will reopen Sunday brunch and dinner next Fall.

"We have a very challenging environment, but I know that Sunday brunches and dinners are in the plan," he said.

Wulforst said dining also plans to allow freshmen to have breakfast at the Great Hall instead of the Marketplace on weekday mornings.

"It's a real initiative that I can't imagine is not going to happen," he said.

Also on the agenda are late-night dining options for freshmen on East Campus next semester. Wulforst said he hopes to keep a section of the Marketplace open until 2 a.m. and offer options such as pizza, subs and pasta. He noted that this addition would probably not be included in the freshman meal plan.

He also updated senators on the Thai noodle restaurant and coffee bar that will be added to the Bryan Center Aug. 15, 2009. Cup A Joe, to be placed in the Gothic Bookstore, will not be difficult to implement, but Lemon Grass will be a much more challenging issue, he said.

Lemon Grass, based in Sacramento, Calif., has been in discussions with Duke about coming to campus for years, he said.

Wulforst said he also hopes to bring demonstration cooking to campus but is still trying to find the appropriate location.

"Wine class kicked off on Thursdays and has been well received," he said. "I can't imagine that engaging in a cooking process would be something you wouldn't want to do either."

In other business:

Senior Gina Ireland, vice president for academic affairs, said the Arts and Sciences Council has implemented changes to teacher evaluations for this semester.

All instructors will be required to fill out a new form at the end of the semester and will have the option of checking one of three boxes. Teachers will be able choose to make only one particular course's evaluations available to students, prohibit the evaluations of a specific course from being viewed by students or make all their courses' evaluations available.

Share and discuss “Changes to dining may come soon” on social media.