Shooting numbers down, Waner ups floor game

Comparing the statistics of last year's Duke squad to this year's team, one number immediately stands out.

Abby Waner's scoring.

The junior guard, who averaged a team-leading 14.1 points per game last season, now only averages 10.4 per contest. In addition, Waner's 3-point shooting has been less consistent. After scorching the nets from beyond the arc last year at a clip of 36.2 percent, Waner has made less than 30 percent of her 3-pointers this season.

Basketball, however, is much more than a game of mere statistics. And though she may not be scoring as many points as she has in the past, Waner knows that it's not just because of a so-called shooting slump.

"We need to take advantage of the post players we have," Waner said. "I think we have some of the best post players in the country. [Chante Black] can score, and we need to get her the ball."

Black's emergence on the block has relieved the offensive burden on Waner. The redshirt junior has flourished this season and leads the Blue Devils in scoring with 13.8 points per game. Forward Joy Cheek has also nearly doubled her offensive production from a year ago.

More than anything, though, the makeup of the team changed drastically with the departure of the senior class. Last season, Waner was the primary beneficiary of All-American point guard Lindsey Harding and All-American center Alison Bales. Harding's ability to pass and Bales' propensity to attract numerous defenders often left Waner unguarded on the perimeter.

After those two stars graduated, Waner was thrust into filling the primary scoring void. While Duke did have an incoming point guard in freshman Jasmine Thomas, Waner was also asked to run the point. The position was a dramatic departure from last year, when Waner was a two-guard looking to shoot first and pass second.

"Stepping into different positions has definitely changed her game," Black said. "Now she's playing point guard and looking to call the shots instead of necessarily taking all the shots."

Another look at the stat sheet shows Waner has embraced her role as point guard this year. Thus far, the junior already has 93 assists, which leads the team. Last season, Waner had 93 total assists at the end of the NCAA Tournament in March and is easily on pace to surpass that number with postseason play coming up.

Waner's increased proficiency at the point, moreover, has made the Blue Devils a more complete team. With Waner and Thomas both able to direct the offense, Duke becomes that much more of an offensive threat when both are on the floor at the same time.

"It is helpful, especially in transition," Waner said. "You have more options of who to make the outlet to. With that on the floor, you're a much more dangerous team."

Nevertheless, Waner has still struggled with her shot this year. After being nearly automatic when open last season, the guard has missed a number of clean looks this year. Waner has already taken steps to try to regain her touch. In the middle of this season, she started going to the gym more to practice her long-range shot and is currently working on her technique with assistant coach Al Brown.

At the end of the day, though, Waner remains confident that her shots will drop.

"I'm not worried about it," Waner said, "I'm not putting any pressure on whether they fall or not. I'm going to keep taking it, and we'll see what happens in the game. I'm just trying to do whatever my team needs me to produce."

Share and discuss “Shooting numbers down, Waner ups floor game” on social media.