Get rid of the shamanism major

Last winter, the Board of Trustees approved a new major: Shamanism.

OK, well it wasn't really shamanism. But when I saw the Board had approved dance as a new major, I thought it might as well have been shamanism-at least in some important respects.

Some explanation is needed. Bear with me for a second.

Shortly after the Board's approval, Duke Magazine discussed the dance major's stress on "history and theory" while noting the "interdisciplinary nature of dance." Duke apparently wants to draw those students who would like a liberal arts education away from dance conservatories.

What is a liberal arts education? Does anyone care to answer? I suspect not.

I had thought that it was an education pursued as something worthy on its own-an education in the best of what has been thought and said. Not for the purpose of agreeing with our forbears, but for the purpose of figuring out whether they were actually right or wrong.

The administration endlessly focuses on housing, diversity and service learning. But when has President Brodhead ever publicly pushed for changing Duke's academics from good to better along the above lines?

Look at the dance major.

The Web site gives some indication of what study in this field actually involves. You can be a total beginner or an expert. Either way, you will have an opportunity not only to learn about dance but also how to dance. And, you can pursue a broader education not available elsewhere.

Take a look at some of the courses offered. African Dance: Introduction to West African dance styles. The Art of Performance: "An examination of the complex artistic process of performance necessary to realize the choreographer's intent..." etc., etc.

Here's my favorite, though. Dance and Religion in Asia and Africa: "Dance... forms in relation to religious beliefs, concepts and mystic practices within the Asian and African cultures. How religion shapes the way the dancer is perceived, and how spiritual power and energy is symbolically transmitted to the dancer through religious practices. Impact of colonialism and globalization on traditional religious performances."

So dance is spiritual, invigorating, inspiring, even artistic. It brings together many strains of authentic culture. Practicing dance is akin to channeling all the ancient rivers of spiritual wisdom. It's like entering into communion with the fire spirit and the earth energy. You can also learn about the impact of buzzwords on the traditional practitioners of the ancient art.

Sound like shamanism?

There are lots of more weighty and serious arguments against having majors in such disciplines. But I'll offer a couple that, if not convincing, I hope will at least be thought-provoking.

Math, history, philosophy, classics, English, physics-these are the core classes in the traditional education. There are pure theories, applied theories, deep questions, studies of important historical epochs, etc. These disciplines attempt to train the mind for thought. They seek to ask questions about humanity, about knowledge in general, about the nature of reality, about the most difficult concepts. In short, these disciplines are concerned with the most important truths we might be able to grasp.

Excuse me for being a bit skeptical, but dance is not exactly in the same league with those disciplines. Instead of asking deep questions, it teaches students a parochial skill, obscure theory and a quasipolitical outlook that stresses connection with utterly foreign cultures through the lens of contemporary Western "theoretical" obsessions.

It is as if we were to compare studying 16th-century mysticism to studying the Reformation. So can we really say that dance is among the best of what has been thought and said?

Duke's administration and the Board of Trustees seem excited about the new major. They're thrilled about having more "opportunities" available to students. If Sally McPhearson from Minnesota wants to study Central African rain dance-well, who's going to stop her?

And why not have a shamanism major?

Our problem is that we are infatuated with providing diverse and various outlets for learning about anything possible. The only real barriers are money and student interest.

Yet this fixation inevitably destroys the liberal arts education. Gone is the focus on learning the best, on grappling with the deep questions. Instead, our inability to judge disciplines-to call this good and that bad-has risen hand-in-glove with the belief that all are equal.

It's clear that the quality of undergraduate education has suffered as a result-and that no one in the administration publicly address the situation in any capacity.

I am sure that there are scholarly professors and attentive students in the dance major. I am sure that they take their work seriously; something is gained.

But the question is whether there can be a place for the dance major at what is supposedly an elite liberal arts college. To that question I answer, No, there is not a place.

Wheeler Frost is a Trinity sophomore. His column runs every other Monday.

Share and discuss “Get rid of the shamanism major” on social media.