Duke takes 1 from GT

After two losses to open its first road series of the year against No. 23 Georgia Tech, Duke (19-5, 4-5 in the ACC) avoided the series sweep by racking up 11 hits en route to a 10-3 victory over the Yellow Jackets (17-5, 5-4) Sunday at Russ Chander Stadium in Atlanta.

Sophomore second baseman Gabriel Saade finished 5-for-5 with a home run, and junior Tim Sherlock added a three-run blast in the second inning to give Duke a 4-2 lead it built on as the game continued.

Freshman pitcher Grant Monroe picked up his fourth win of the year with a five-inning, three-run performance. Sophomore reliever Michael Ness contributed three perfect innings and sophomore Alex Hassan closed out the series finale win.

"It was definitely an adjustment going on the road in the ACC and playing a good team like Georgia Tech," head coach Sean McNally said. "I feel really good coming out of [Sunday] but there's some disappointment about not getting one of those [first] two games."

Sunday's scoring outburst overshadowed an otherwise lackluster offensive performance over the weekend. Aside from the last game and the first five innings of the first game, when the Blue Devils put up four runs, the team managed just two runs over 13 consecutive innings.

Share and discuss “Duke takes 1 from GT” on social media.