CHPD: No leads in Carson case so far

ONLINE UPDATE: CHAPEL HILL - At a 12:30 p.m. conference at the Chapel Hill Police Department's headquarters, Chief Brian Curran told members of the press that investigators still have no suspects in the murder of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill senior Eve Carson. Carson was found dead near her off-campus apartment around 5 a.m. Wednesday morning. She was 22 years old. The UNC Board of Trustees, of which Carson, as student body president, was a member, has pledged $25,000 to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crime Stoppers as a reward for any information regarding the student's death. Police are currently soliciting information anyone might have regarding the whereabouts of Carson's death between the hours of 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and 2 p.m. Thursday, when it was found in downtown Chapel Hill. Curran said investigators are currently examining materials stripped from her car and computer records. The police department has also subpoenaed the student's cell-phone records, but investigators are still waiting to receive the information. Carson did not have her keys or wallet when she was found by police. Curran said he was not aware if either had been found, though he added that investigators are currently searching for leads with credit-card records. The seemingly random nature of the crime has made it difficult to gather information regarding the murder, Curran said, noting that police continue to sift through forensic evidence and are canvassing the neighborhood for potential leads. So far, the only witnesses to the crime are two residents who called 911 to report hearing gunshots. He added that police do not believe Carson did anything wrong and said it was not unusual for her to be up late doing work or making trips to campus. Although Curran said it is possible she was on her way to her campus office when she was murdered, police do not believe Carson ever reached the campus. Curran urged the UNC community to continue to adhere to normal safety precautions. Police are not taking any specific measures to increase surveillance around UNC's campus, he said. The chief also noted that despite surface similarities between the Carson murder and the homicide of Auburn freshman Lauren Burke Thursday, investigators do not believe there is any connection between the two cases.

Share and discuss “CHPD: No leads in Carson case so far” on social media.