Room Pix online testing announced

Online testing of Room Pix will begin early next week, Residence Life and Housing Services officials announced at the Campus Council general body meeting Thursday night.

Prior to the testing period, an e-mail will be sent to all rising sophomores with detailed instructions on the process, RLHS Program Coordinator Jen Frank said. Similar e-mails will be sent to rising juniors and seniors shortly after.

"We'd like people to go in there and check it out," Frank said.

Council members also discussed reducing the current policy of 24/7 quiet hours on Central Campus.

The quiet hours are traditionally thought to be in place for the comfort and privacy of graduate and professional students and their families, said Campus Council President Ryan Todd, a senior.

As Central will become an all-undergraduate campus when graduate and professional students move off next Fall due to the Few Quadrangle renovations, the hours on every campus should be equitable, said Communications Coordinator Hope Lu, a junior.

"Giving all three campuses equitable hours would strengthen a sense of community on Central, which is kind of non-existent," Todd said. "We're trying to make Central a more attractive place to live. You don't have to be on West to have fun."

The policy is intended to be tested in a one-year trial period so graduate students may reevaluate it upon returning following the Few Quad renovations, he added.

Members will vote next week on the extent to which the quiet hours should be reduced.

In other business:

The council passed a resolution asking RLHS to provide basic cable TV packages in the commons rooms of selective living groups that voice interest. Currently, RLHS only pays for basic cable TV packages in 19 independent commons rooms, said Vice President Kevin Thompson, a junior.

The package will be limited to the lowest-priced paid service available through the Office of Information Technology.

"Although certain selective living groups have ownership over a single commons room, it is not equivalent to the preclusion to access by other students," he added.

Members also passed a resolution to eliminate common area damage billing, which charges all quadrangle residents for any unassigned hall or quad damages.

Share and discuss “Room Pix online testing announced” on social media.