Romantic sweets may impart health benefits, too

Research on the health benefits of chocolate gives new meaning to heart-shaped boxes full of the Valentine's Day treat.

Though moderating consumption remains important, researchers and dieticians say compounds in the cocoa used to make chocolate can have a positive impact on the heart and mind.

Lisa Richardson, a registered dietitian and Durham resident who describes keeping up with the latest chocolate research as her hobby, says eating chocolate is "not as sinful as most people think."

"We typically think of tea and red wine as being high in antioxidants, but chocolate is too," she said. "It contains compounds that help lower blood pressure by causing our blood vessels to relax."

A study led by Dr. Norman Hollenberg, a professor at Harvard Medical School and published last year in the International Journal of Medical Sciences established a link between consumption of cocoa and improved cardiovascular health.

The reseachers compared rates of heart disease in one group of Kuna Indians who inhabit the islands of the coast of Panama and whose diets are rich in cocoa to their land-dwelling counterparts who eat less cocoa.

The study found significantly lower rates of hypertension and other cardiovascular maladies in the island population.

Richardson said chocolate has not only been found to improve heart health but can also elevate mood.

People feel happy after eating chocolate because it releases neurotransmitters like serotonin into the brain, which help reduce stress and promote happiness, she added.

Sophomore Emily Austin has first-hand experience with chocolate's impact on mental health.

Following a freshman year she described as "rough," her father gave her a piece of pottery with "confidence" painted on the side and filled it with chocolates.

"Whenever I'm having a bad day, I just eat something from the pot of confidence," Austin said, tentatively describing herself as a chocolate addict.

Some students, however, remain wary of indulging in the popular holiday candy.

Junior Erin Haser said although knowing chocolate has some health benefits makes her feel less guilty about eating it, she would not alter her diet to include more chocolate.

"I think the value of chocolate as a Valentine's Day gift comes from the fact that it's so traditional," she said. "It's a good way to show someone that you care."

Richardson said students should be cognizant of chocolate's calorie content and consider that forms of chocolate rich in cocoa, such as powdered hot chocolate and dark chocolate, are generally healthier than milk chocolate.

Student Health Dietitian Anna Lutz said she believes many types of food can be nutritious in moderation, and students should keep an open mind when choosing what to eat.

"A lot of people think of foods as either good or bad. The research on chocolate shows that we need to take a step back and realize there are benefits from all different kinds of foods," she said.

Share and discuss “Romantic sweets may impart health benefits, too” on social media.