Illness deep-sixes Radin performance

Students will have to wait to get "Closer" to acoustic singer-songwriter Joshua Radin as he will not perform as scheduled tonight due to health reasons, Duke University Union officials announced Saturday night.

Radin, who had planned to play in Reynolds Theater, spent Thursday night in a hospital's emergency room due to a "terrible sinus infection" and will not be able to fly again until Feb. 28, said juniors Chamindra Goonewardene and Vincent Ling, co-chairs of DUU's Major Attractions committee.

"[Radin's agents] sent us a doctor's note-it's all legit," said Goonewardene, incoming DUU president. "It's really out of our control."

The committee is looking into rescheduling options and will alert ticket holders today of any changes after speaking to Radin's agents. According to the Duke University Box Office Web site, 404 tickets have been sold for the event, which is approximately two-thirds of the seating capacity in Reynolds.

Goonewardene said he was notified of the issue Friday around 1 p.m. and sent a Facebook message to members of the event's group Saturday at 9 p.m. He told The Chronicle Sunday that he planned to send a mass e-mail to all students this morning.

But ticket holders who were not part of the Facebook group said event organizers could have better publicized the cancellation early on in order to keep everyone informed.

"I had absolutely no idea that he wasn't performing, and it's the night before," said sophomore Natalie Figuereo, who was informed about the cancellation by a friend. "I'm not even sure if it's accurate, and I'm not sure how [we're] going to be reimbursed or if we are [at all]. I don't know any details, and I'd like to know."

Radin will be playing a show March 20 at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, N.C., headlined by singer Ingrid Michaelson. Goonewardene and Ling said the show is one alternative to tonight's nixed program if it cannot be rescheduled in Reynolds.

"The biggest constraint [to rescheduling] is what day we can get Reynolds," said DUU President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior.

Goonewardene said the Major Attractions committee was unable to access dates the theater is available or get in touch with Radin's agents over the weekend.

Ling said because of these communication difficulties, he was unsure whether rescheduling was the best choice. He added that once the committee has decided on an alternative, they will notify all ticket holders in conjunctions with the Box Office.

Several students said though they understood why Radin could not perform, they were disappointed by his absence.

"Joshua's one of my favorite artists," sophomore Whitney Woodhull said. "When I found out he was coming I was really excited. I would definitely like to see him rescheduled rather than refunded."

Share and discuss “Illness deep-sixes Radin performance” on social media.