Goonewardene to serve as DUU head

Duke University Union officials announced Sunday that junior Chamindra Goonewardene will be the next president of Duke's largest student organization.

Outgoing President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior, said Goonewardene stood out for excelling in his current position as chair of the Union's Major Attractions committee.

"It's the first time in a while we've had a programming director step up," Donnelly said, adding that she was impressed by Goonewardene's leadership and dedication to the Union during the past year. "[He will] do a great job in helping the Union provide what the students want and programming toward the general student body."

Each year, DUU solicits applications from the student body and its administrative board. The University Union Board-a panel consisting of faculty and representatives of several major student organizations-then selects a winner from the applicants. No prior Union experience is necessary.

Donnelly would not say how many applicants there were for the top post.

"I'm really excited for next year," Goonewardene said. "We've done a lot of good work this year, and we're looking to continue that same trend next year."

He added that the Union's most fundamental mission is to serve as a programming body and facilitator of the arts for students. In that light, Goonewardene said he hopes to continue to search for a middle ground between large- and small-scale programming.

"We will keep striving to maintain a balance and cater to the mainstream audience and niche audiences," he said, adding that the Union was able to strike that balance this year.

This year's musical performers have ranged from singer and songwriter Regina Spektor to rock band Third Eye Blind, who will be performing at this year's Last Day of Classes celebration.

Goonewardene said his goals include maintaining the transparency and visibility Donnelly has built for the organization this year and increasing inter-committee interactions in order to push unity within the Union.

"[We will have a] much larger role on campus, showcasing student talent through our gallery and TV station," he said. "There will be a definite emphasis on the arts. The Union will be playing a much larger role with that."

Donnelly and Goonewardene will maintain their current positions until April 1, when Donnelly will officially pass the torch.

"The Union has been an incredible learning experience," she said. "It's the prevalence of the Union as a force for campus culture and campus change, bringing people together for the arts-I think the Union did a poor job when I joined and [it has gotten] better. [The Union] will continue to grow and improve and think innovatively about programming.... I see so much potential for the Union in the future."

Share and discuss “Goonewardene to serve as DUU head” on social media.