WaDuke unfit to host DUU party

The second semester just got a little less dressy.

Planning for a formal event at the Washington Duke Inn has been put to a halt by the Duke University Union, members said at their meeting Tuesday night.

Other topics covered were the upcoming concert in Krzyzewskiville and an independent review of the Union's performance.

DUU President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior, announced the suspension of planning for the event at the hotel. The formal had been in the works since last semester as a way to promote more faculty-student interaction in a non-classroom setting, with students encouraged to invite any faculty members they wished.

She said the formal is a "no-go," citing as a significant reason the hotel's refusal to allow more than 500 people to attend.

An additional problem was the WaDuke's minimum asking price to host the event, $25,000, which Donnelly said was too high for an event limited to 500 participants.

Also on the agenda was the concert slated to happen in K-ville March 6.

The topic was introduced by Major Attractions Director Chamindra Goonewardene, a junior, who said that a number of student organizations are on board to help out.

"We're pretty close to confirming the concert," he said, adding that the artist should be announced within the next week.

Members also discussed creating an independent review board that would give an unbiased opinion of DUU's performance.

Donnelly proposed the idea, describing it as a successor to a similar review conducted by a group of involved students last year.

"It might be a good idea to do it again, but put out the application to the general student body," she said.

Share and discuss “WaDuke unfit to host DUU party” on social media.