Smooth going for Rocky Horror

Perhaps one of the most-beloved and well-known musical comedies featuring an uber-sexualized-transvestite mad scientist-and very possibly the only one-The Rocky Horror Show has made its flamboyant arrival at Duke. Paying tribute to the very play that birthed the cult-classic film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Duke's Hoof 'n' Horn will perform the British stage musical tonight for the first time in campus history.

"The thing that makes The Rocky Horror Show such a unique production is that the whole play is just an intense burst of raw, in-your-face energy that lasts for an hour and a half," said sophomore Aidan Stallworth, who plays lead character Frank-N-Furter.

Created in 1973, The Rocky Horror Show is a musical homage to the '50s, the disco-era sci-fi movie phenomenon and, most noticeably, the sexual revolution. Filled with fabulous camp, fantastical characters and a great score, the play is about a newly-engaged couple, Janet and Brad, who stumbles into the company of Frank-N-Furter, "a sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania," when they acquire a flat tire.

Newcomer Stallworth proudly and dynamically fills the high heels of Frank-N-Furter, fearlessly commanding the stage as the rightful diva of the show. Also enthralling are the impeccable performances given by graduate student John Kolba and freshman Robert Krattli as Riff Raff and Dr. Scott respectively. Not only do they entertain from the moment they appear on the stage, but they commit themselves entirely to their roles. Suffusing each gesture and every posture with the essence of their characters, Kolba and Krattli charm the audience without slipping into archetypal characters.

Brad, however, played by junior Ross Goldstein is a bit over-the-top in his struggle to uphold traditional masculine roles, making his ultimate sexual awakening disappointingly anti-climactic. But propelled by an amazing pit band, accomplished talent and an abundance of energy, the overall performance will not disappoint.

While the 1975 film adaptation featuring Susan Sarandon as Janet and Tim Curry as the infamous Frank-N-Furter is more famous in the United States than the original musical production, it is noticeably different in many ways. Despite the popularity of the ritualized call-backs associated with viewing the film-things such as responding to what the characters have to say, throwing props at the screen and the infamous panty run-the stage production affords the audience even more interaction.

"While the call-backs are great for the midnight showings of the movie, you are limited to the dialogue and confines of the film," said director David Hankla, a senior. "With our show, there will be more audience interaction because their call-backs and input can change the performance on the stage."

Being unapologetic in its expression of sexual freedom, The Rocky Horror Show is not your average stage musical, but that is also one of its biggest strengths.

"I don't think theater should always be comfortable," Stallworth said. "You should be challenged. You shouldn't always see what you've always seen."

The Rocky Horror Show will be performed in the Sheafer Theater Jan. 17-19 and Jan. 24-26. at 8 p.m. with special midnight showings on Saturday Jan. 19, Friday Jan. 25 and Saturday Jan. 26. Tickets are $8.

Share and discuss “Smooth going for Rocky Horror” on social media.