Security mailing gets high marks

The full details of security measures and communication procedures to be implemented in case of an on-campus emergency were sent to all parents via mail over the holiday break.

The revamped plan-which primarily focuses on more efficient methods of notification in case of a crisis-was unveiled Nov. 7. A similar letter and brochure was also mailed to all undergraduate students.

"Following the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech this spring, many of us at Duke, like others across the country, began to ask the question, 'How would we have responded?'" Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, wrote in the letter to parents. "We have since completed a thorough review of our emergency preparedness and made a number of enhancements in our emergency plans, communication procedures and technical capabilities."

Some parents said although the new emergency procedures were a promising start, more could be done to ensure the safety of students.

"These are the things that should already be in place---they are just general guidelines," said Rekha Patel, mother of a Duke sophomore. "In extreme situations, what should [students] do? There need to be specific instructions."

Under the new measures, officials said they hope to notify students, faculty and staff as well as parents and the news media within 30 minutes of being informed of an emergency. Channels of communication include a new Web site where emergency information will be posted, messages posted on Duke's emergency hot line and alert e-mails that can quickly be sent to all Duke accounts as well as to parents whose addresses are listed on ACES.

Patel said an online training system similar to AlcoholEdu-which would provide specific instructions for different emergency scenarios-would be more useful.

Some students said they still feel Duke's emergency plan is too vague.

"Any measures you take toward preparing for something like that is good, but I still think you can prepare more," sophomore Stephanie Dreifuss said. "I would like to know that if a situation like [Virginia Tech] were to emerge, what would be the best thing to do?"

Although the new plan defines an emergency as anything from severe weather to a pandemic outbreak to a terrorist attack, it provides few details on the appropriate actions to take in the event of an emergency.

"In general, we are reasonably well positioned to respond to the full panoply of emergencies that could arise," Moneta wrote in an e-mail to The Chronicle. "These measures are not intended to be exhaustive.... Each circumstance will inevitably require unique actions, and we're well positioned to have the right people come together immediately to plan those action steps."

In the coming year, the University will also work on a text-messaging system to notify students of emergencies via their cell phones and on installing a siren/public address system to broadcast messages in and around buildings on campus, according to the brochure.

A recent task force on campus security appointed by North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper plans to recommend that all of the state's colleges and universities practice emergency drills regularly and train faculty, staff and students to respond accordingly.

Campuses such as the University of North Carolina at Greensboro have already had simulations of campus shootings to test their emergency drills.

Moneta said Duke is currently planning drills and further educational efforts.

Share and discuss “Security mailing gets high marks” on social media.