Science Dr. project will improve road, fix utility lines

A major construction project is currently taking place along Science Drive in an effort to replace aging steam, electrical and water lines that run underneath the pavement and to improve the overall appearance of the street.

The project began last week and is expected to be completed by early May, said Stephen Carrow, the project's supervisor and a project manager for the Facilities Management Department.

"The utility lines were deteriorated, having reached the end of their life cycle, and the road has been patched up so many times that it is full of leaks," he said. "So this was the right time to start repairs."

Construction is taking place from the Biological Sciences Building to the Physics Building, as well on as part of the stairway from the road to the Levine Science Research Center and the path to the Teer Building.

"We just got started last week, but so far we haven't had any major problems," Carrow said.

Pedestrian detours have been set up along the affected areas, and temporary traffic signals are also in place when road work is being done.

Despite having one lane closed off, all bus lines to Science Drive will run without any changes throughout the construction process, said Peter Murphy, assistant director of transit services at Parking and Transportation Services.

"From what the construction department people told me, they will never shut down the street completely, so buses will run as normal," he said.

Carrow said he has not heard of any student complaints regarding the ongoing construction.

"I don't really mind because it does not bother people much," freshman Henry Hwang said. "The detours just mean a couple more feet of walking, and the construction sites are more eyesores than actual nuisances."

Once the work on the utility lines are finished, measures will be taken to improve the overall appearance of the street.

The improvements will include raised crosswalks similar to those on Towerview Drive, and the use of decorative aggregate concrete, Carrow said.

"The street will look much nicer than now," he added.

Share and discuss “Science Dr. project will improve road, fix utility lines” on social media.