DPD: Mahato murder not tied to gangs

The Durham Police Department said Tuesday that they still have no suspects or leads in the murder of Duke graduate student Abhijit Mahato.

Mahato, a second-year Ph.D. candidate in the Pratt School of Engineering, was found shot to death inside his home in The Anderson Apartments Friday night.

"This is an ongoing investigation," said Kammie Michael, a DPD public information officer. "We're putting quite a bit of our resources into it."

Police are in the process of talking to Mahato's friends and the other residents of his apartment complex, she added.

DPD also said the crime does not appear to be related to gang violence, The Hindustan Times reported Monday.

A memorial service will be held for Mahato, 29, in the Schiciano Auditorium in the Fitzpatrick Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences Friday at 1 p.m. In addition, a Hindu temple in Morrisville, N.C., will host a prayer service from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

"This is a difficult time for our community, and we all have different ways to deal with grief," Robert Clark, interim dean of Pratt, wrote in an e-mail to the engineering community. "I encourage you to reach out to your friends and family to get the comfort and support you need and to be patient and compassionate with those around you."

Share and discuss “DPD: Mahato murder not tied to gangs” on social media.