Cutcliffe and Duke hope to boost interest in team

Before officially being hired as head football coach, David Cutcliffe met with Joe Alleva in the Director of Athletics' Cameron Indoor Stadium office.

Waiting to begin the interview, the then-Tennessee offensive coordinator scanned the walls, taking in the Duke memorabilia. Among the framed covers of Sports Illustrateds from Duke Basketball's national championship wins, Cutcliffe saw something else that piqued his interest: a picture of Wallace Wade Stadium filled to capacity.

In one moment, the coach thought of the potential for interest in Duke Football as he was sure the picture was from the Steve Spurrier Era. Then Cutcliffe looked closer and saw Mick Jagger on the field- realizing the photograph was not taken at a football game, but rather a 2005 Rolling Stones concert.

Generating fan and student interest for football games is one of the biggest challenges facing the former Mississippi head coach. But it's one he has attacked already, nearly eight months before his first game, and one that he will seemingly stop at nothing to overcome.

"If I have to go up to Tailgate myself and put them on the sidelines to get them in there, I'll do that," Cutcliffe said. "I certainly want the fans-mostly the Duke students-to enjoy it."

On Jan. 15, Cutcliffe sent out an e-mail to students with the subject line "Are you ready for some football?" In it, the newly-hired head coach expressed his desire for the students to enjoy the entirety of football Saturdays, not just the tailgate.

Cutcliffe also recorded a voice message that went to all season-ticket holders just days after his hiring.

Bart Smith, Duke's Director of Promotions, attributed Cutcliffe's personality and resumé as reasons for generating excitement.

"He certainly has a very strong interest in getting the Duke student body involved and coming to football games," Smith said. "We've just tried to put together a plan to put him out in the community more."

To do that, Smith said, the Department of Athletics has been looking for opportunities for the coach to meet students.

Last Saturday, Cutcliffe and his entire staff were introduced at halftime of the Duke basketball game against Clemson. Cutcliffe originally had planned to greet each Cameron Crazie at the entrance of Cameron Indoor Stadium before tipoff, but because of the inclement weather, he was kept inside. Smith said that at future home basketball games, Cutcliffe will try to greet fans at the gate.

The Department of Athletics has also taken advantage of the buzz created by Cutcliffe's arrival. Smith said the school has launched a three-month campaign into March in which it has aggressively marketed the chance to buy season tickets early.

Smith added that he and Cutcliffe expect to meet soon after National Signing Day Feb. 6 to discuss plans to market the spring football game. Cutcliffe also mentioned the possibility of bringing two of his most successful quarterbacks, Peyton and Eli Manning, to visit.

"All over campus, [the excitement] is genuine and it's strong," Smith said.

Cutcliffe said that he has "two or three traditions" and a few surprises that he wanted to bring to gamedays in the fall.

The coach acknowledged, however, that the best marketing tool will be a successful team on the field. And with a squad that has lost 25 straight ACC contests, Cutcliffe knows he has his work cut out for him.

But just as it seems the former Tennessee offensive coordinator will do whatever it takes to win on the field, it appears he will also do whatever it takes to get fans inside Wallace Wade for home games.

Share and discuss “Cutcliffe and Duke hope to boost interest in team” on social media.