8 seniors named Young Trustee semifinalists

The Young Trustee Nominating Committee selected eight seniors as semifinalists for one of the University's most prestigious undergraduate positions at the University Monday night.

Katelyn Donnelly, Dan Englander, Kate Guthrie, Bronwyn Lewis, Paul Slattery, Ryan Todd, Leslie Voorhees and Hasnain Zaidi were selected from 16 applicants to proceed in the selection process. There were also 16 applications for Young Trustee in 2007.

"The Young Trustee is someone who can represent the student body, who is universally accessible, who is articulate and who does not have an agenda," said senior Genevieve Cody, Duke Student Government vice president for community interaction and chair of the YTNC. "There were many, many good applicants, and the committee feels that it will come out with a Young Trustee who will represent the student body as well as possible,"

The Young Trustee serves a three-year term as a member of the Board of Trustees, the first year as a non-voting observer and the second and third as a full voting member of the Board.

The YTNC has been working this year to improve the selection process to best represent the student body, Cody said.

"I am pleased that there are more female candidates in the final eight than there were in the past two years combined," she said. "This is definitely a positive improvement."

Members of the nominating committee-composed of 10 members of the Intercommunity Council and 10 members of DSG-said this year's candidates were both very qualified and passionate about the University.

"The applicants were all extremely strong this year," said junior Jordan Giordano, DSG executive vice president. Giordano served as chair of the YTNC last year in his capacity as vice president for community interaction. "Because of this, it was definitely a much tougher decision than last year."

The semifinalists, all of whom have held prominent leadership positions on campus, said they were honored to be selected and excited to continue the process.

"Over the past four years, Duke University has meant a tremendous amount to me, so having the opportunity to serve in this capacity is a great honor," Lewis said. "I know the selection process was very difficult, and that makes it all the more rewarding."

Three Young Trustee finalists will be selected Jan. 29.

Share and discuss “8 seniors named Young Trustee semifinalists” on social media.