$14M gift will fund Christian leadership center

A $14-million gift from Lilly Endowment Inc., aims to establish an initiative at the Divinity School to assist Christian leaders in tackling real-world challenges by joining theological insight with business practices, University officials announced Tuesday.

"This new project is an exciting and innovative step for Duke Divinity School and Duke University," President Richard Brodhead said in a statement. "It builds on distinctive strengths at Duke and exemplifies the University's special interest in not only developing new knowledge but also applying that knowledge broadly in the service of society. We are grateful for the support from the Lilly Endowment that makes this project possible."

The initiative will instruct, guide and provide resources to leaders of Christian institutions, which maintains congregations and pastors.

A wide range of programs will be established under the new initiative, some of which will center around how to lead and manage Christian institutions. These programs may be offered through an open-application process or customized for specific groups.

The initiative will also set up a Web site that allows Christian institution leaders to communicate with one another and exchange resources and ideas. Finally, the gift will also allow Christian leaders from across the country to meet at Duke in order to address crucial issues.

"With this initiative, Duke is positioned to be a catalyst by supporting those doing the most creative and effective work, by convening those willing and eager to tackle tough problems and by bringing constructive new ideas and resources from other spheres into play in the religious domain," Divinity School Dean Gregory Jones said in a statement.

Share and discuss “$14M gift will fund Christian leadership center” on social media.