Hanukkah lights up campus

Bobbing to and fro outside Alpine Bagels, an inflatable menorah in hues of neon wishes Blue Devils a "Happy Chanukah."

The eight-day Jewish festival of lights is celebrated anywhere between late November and December depending on the Gregorian calendar and does not always coincide with the University's winter break. But for the first time in three years, the 10 percent of the Duke student body that identifies itself as Jewish is observing the holiday while finishing up classes and studying for finals, said Rebecca Levenson, interim director for Jewish life.

Freshman Marcus Kaplan said he was bewildered by the vibrant symbol of the season but appreciates the spiritual reminder as he celebrates Hanukkah 150 miles from his Virginia home.

"We have plenty of [Hanukkah] traditions in our house and being away from them this year has been kind of strange," Kaplan said. "Reminders like that keep you thinking about the holiday."

To help students simulate the familial atmosphere of the holiday, the Freeman Center for Jewish Life has hosted public candle lighting ceremonies each night of Hanukkah. Latkes and Libations, the premier Hanukkah event held annually at Armadillo Grill, drew a record-breaking 125 students Thursday night, Levenson said.

The candle lighting ceremonies have been held in a variety of venues on both East and West campuses, ranging from the East Union Building steps to the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity common room and are structured so students can either drop in as a study break or spend the entire evening celebrating, Levenson said.

Chabad, a Jewish campus group, has worked hard to "encourage the public display of the menorah" during Hanukkah, said Rabbi Zalman Bluming, executive director of Chabad at Duke. In addition to placing the inflatable menorah outside Alpine Bagel, rabbis have spent the week driving a "Hanukkah-mobile" topped with a menorah and playing traditional Jewish tunes between East and West, Bluming said.

Chabad and the FCJL have distributed hundreds of menorahs to students for use in their dormitory rooms. Bluming said more students than ever are displaying theirs this year.

"It's important to engage your faith. I think there's a lot of students who feel the need to do something active," he said.

Rabbi Michael Goldman of the FCJL said for freshmen who are away from home for the first time, it can seem impossible to enjoy Hanukkah without family.

"There's so much about [Hanukkah] that's about the comfort of home," he said. "Hanukkah happens around the dining room table."

Freshman Amanda Robison said though she has stayed connected to her family in New York by coordinating candle lighting ceremonies, she has forged a new family with her peers at the FCJL.

Bluming said celebrating the holiday on campus can be a valuable source of personal growth for students.

"There's something beautiful about building your own community," he said.

Share and discuss “Hanukkah lights up campus” on social media.