Tradition permeates South Bend

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Although Notre Dame was struggling through its worst season in recent history, the Fighting Irish fans filled the stands and carried on their historic gameday traditions Saturday.

"People didn't care it was an off year," said Molly Bierman, a junior who joined her mom and dad-a Notre Dame law school graduate-in South Bend. "And the fact that they have so much history overrode the fact that this wasn't their best year."

The loyalty to a 1-9 team was surprising to many Duke fans who trekked up to South Bend to witness their team's first game against the Irish since 1966. Unlike the Duke student section that typically has enough room for fans to sprawl out for post-Tailgate naps during home games, the Notre Dame section was just about packed from start to finish.

"I was in the student section," said Jason Prager, a senior visiting his best friend who attends Notre Dame. "I had never been to a football game like that. Coming from a basketball school, it was really cool to see the traditions another school has."

Among other traditions, the Fighting Irish faithful lined the path leading from the Sacred Heart Basilica to the stadium prior to the game. After attending mass in coat and tie, the team walked from the chapel to the stadium.

"At first I didn't know what was going on," Bierman said. "There were hordes of people in a line, and after a while, you could see the players all coming out from mass. Everyone cheered a lot, and then the band came out. It was a great feeling to see that sort of tradition and personal connection between the team and fans."

Despite a cold rain and their team holding onto a commanding lead in the fourth quarter, most Notre Dame fans stayed until the end. Following the game, the Notre Dame players crowded in front of the student section and saluted their fans. The band played the Alma Mater, "Notre Dame, Our Mother," as the crowd linked arms, sang the lyrics and swayed from side to side.

"The long-standing football traditions at Notre Dame are incomparable," Prager said. "Eight-thousand people in Cameron is really impressive, but 80,000 in Notre Dame Stadium was unlike anything I've ever experienced."

Share and discuss “Tradition permeates South Bend” on social media.