Tigers clawing for ACC title

After a 2006-2007 season in which Clemson had its best start in team history, the ACC cannot say it didn't see the Tigers coming this year.

Anchored by four returning starters from a team that went 25-11 and finished as the runner-up in the NIT, Clemson was picked fourth in the preseason ACC media poll. The Tigers hope to build on last year's success and reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time since Rick Barnes was the team's head coach in the 1998.

"We did a lot of good things last year, tying the record for wins, tying the record for the best start, but we have to do a little more to get into the NCAA Tournament," head coach Oliver Purnell said. "Everyone involved in this program is responsible for doing a little bit more to make that happen."

Much of the burden for taking that next step will fall on the shoulders of 6-foot-9 post sensation James Mays, who played a large role in Clemson's fast start last year. The senior forward averaged 12.2 points per game a season ago and tied for the team lead in rebounds with 6.4 per contest. After considering a jump to the NBA and participating in the Pre-Draft camp in Orlando, Mays decided to return for his final season.

"He has incredible quickness for his size and can do a variety of things on the court," Purnell said. "He is a unique basketball talent in that he has quickness, length and can affect the outcome of the game in so many different areas."

In addition to Mays, forwards Trevor Booker and Raymond Sykes will also contribute to the Clemson frontcourt. Booker led the team in blocked shots last season as a freshman, while Sykes is an athletic junior with a propensity for acrobatic dunks.

The Tigers will have to replace starting point guard Vernon Hamilton, who graduated in the spring, but the backcourt is in good hands with the duo of K.C. Rivers and Cliff Hammonds. Rivers led the team in scoring last season by pouring in 14 points per game despite only starting the season's final 10 games.

Hammonds is a versatile guard who is particularly tenacious on the defensive end. The senior recorded more steals than turnovers last season and was second in the ACC in assist/turnover ratio. Senior Sam Perry and sophomore David Potter round out Clemson's main group of contributors on the perimeter.

With expectations high after last year's surprise success, Purnell acknowledged that the returning nucleus from last season must have a big year to propel the Tigers to even greater heights this season.

"We need the returning players to have career-best years," Purnell said. "Chemistry needs to be a strength of this team."

Share and discuss “Tigers clawing for ACC title” on social media.