Talking with your professor: the interaction problem

In his thoughtful columns-Oct. 31, "Seeking recommendations," and Nov. 7, "Solving the interaction problem"-Jordan Everson lists a number of existing institutional approaches to student-faculty interaction-required seminars and research classes, the advising system, mentored research, Writing 20, faculty-in-residence, administration-supported social events and house courses-and finds them lacking. Can students and faculty be brought together without recourse to the cumbersome and coercive methods of curricular reform?

Fortunately, the problem of instituting a new graduation requirement is way above my pay grade. In any case, institutionalizing one-on-one interaction in the curriculum is probably undoable because of the mathematics of the student-faculty ratio. More importantly, though, there's something about a requirement that will demean any noble goal; it's already hard enough to have a good conversation with your adviser when the purpose of your meeting is to get a PIN number-how can you focus on the "Big Questions" when your subconscious keeps sending up toxic messages about grades? All that aside, any institutional reform will be implemented after the current seniors have left, clutching those hard-won letters of recommendation. So as we wait for Duke to change the system, may I recommend a bottom-feeder approach?

There are a number of ways for students to get together with faculty-and faculty to get together with students-on an individual basis. Here are just a few: at that mandatory advising meeting, initiate a conversation that moves beyond the bookbag; attend a lecture, concert or film-and stay afterwards for the post-event schmoozing; go to a language conversation table; stop in to see your professor or TA during office hours to talk (hint: about an idea, not a grade); see what your faculty-in-residence is up to and stop in for some of that; get a group of neighbors together and invite your professor or TA over (do this not to fulfill a real-estate requirement, but because it might be intrinsically interesting). Take a class in something you don't really need-you'd be surprised at how many utterly fascinating courses here (arts, literatures and performance, anyone?) enroll fewer than 10 students; check ACES today. And some professors are quite willing to get acquainted with you.

The stomach has a direct line to the brain. Ask your philosophy professor what this has to do with the mind-body problem. In practical terms, this means that at Duke you can have your interaction and eat it, too. Funds are available for advisers, instructors of first-year seminars, faculty-in-residence and, in fact, all professors in Trinity College to share a meal with students. On the student side, you would be amazed at the resources out there. What sort of professor-person would you like to meet? It can be done. Ask your resident assistance, graduate resident or residence coordinator if there might be funding for this kind of quality time. And in addition to being very smart and interesting people, TAs are hungry all the time: ask the Graduate School for 10 bucks and take them out to lunch.

Over the past couple of years, Duke has done a good job in organizing high-profile events aimed at bringing faculty and students together-big shindigs in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens, the libraries and the Nasher, for example-and for these events, student initiative was essential. Is there a way to talk to your professor without having to get all dressed up? How might we build community somewhere in between these huge celebrations and the timid, stressful little encounters we all find ourselves engaging in? This year, faculty and students alike might take advantage of some new initiatives. This year, the University has opened new social spaces: Upstairs@The Commons and the patio at the Armadillo Grill, for example. Stop in or take over some other space-a coffee shop on or off campus, a porch or your commons room. Upstairs@The Commons might be the place for you if your time falls into what used to be called the "cocktail hour:" between 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Fridays would be nice, too, somewhere. All these things require your initiative, but the effort-to-payoff ratio is on your side, and it's not that hard: Get a group of students together and come up with a question or topic of interest. Ask some faculty members to stop by. Stir and mix.

Carol Apollonio Flath is associate professor of the practice of Russian and faculty-in-residence in Wilson Residence Hall.

Share and discuss “Talking with your professor: the interaction problem” on social media.