Heated campaigns close today

Mayoral and City Council candidates will face off at the polls today following one of the most contentious municipal races in recent years.

City Council member Thomas Stith will attempt to unseat Mayor Bill Bell, who is seeking his fourth consecutive term. In addition, incumbents Diane Catotti and Eugene Brown will compete against newcomers Steve Monks, Laney Funderburk, Farad Ali and David Harris for three at-large City Council seats.

In a city that is predominantly Democratic, divisive partisan politics have played a prominent role in this year's races, candidates said.

Bell, a Democrat, has repeatedly sparred with the conservative Stith, who has adamantly called for a tougher stance on crime, harsher regulations on illegal immigration and more transparency in city government.

"[Stith] said he was going to bring a campaign that Durham hadn't seen before, and he has definitely done that," Bell said, adding that he found his challenger's tactics "distasteful."

Stith, however, said he was satisfied with the conduct of his campaign and hopeful that he was able to convey his message to Durham voters.

"I've gone to great lengths to speak to the people of Durham," he said. "Now, your opponent will always have a different picture that they will try to paint... but I hope that I have been able to reach people with what my record has shown."

Both candidates have gained their own advantages throughout the campaign. While Stith edged out the mayor in fundraising, Bell obtained a high-profile endorsement from Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

Partisan politics have also heated up the City Council race.

Although Brown said he would prefer the municipal elections stayed nonpartisan, he acknowledged this year has been particularly divisive.

"The elephants have fired first and now the donkeys will respond accordingly," Brown told The Chronicle in October.

In addition, Monks and Funderburk, both conservatives, are running a joint campaign to boost their chances of getting elected together.

"We ran with the hope that we each have strengths to bring to office," Monks said. "It's going to take more than one person [to bring about change]."

He added, however, that his party affiliation has little to do with his qualifications for office.

"There are certain groups of people that will never vote for people of a different party affiliation. And guess what? We've already seen an example of that in Durham, North Carolina," Monks said, referring to the election of former district attorney Mike Nifong-a registered Democrat-in November 2006. Monks ran as a write-in candidate against Nifong in that race.

Experience has also shaped up to be an important factor in candidates' success, as Catotti and Brown finished first and second in the primaries that narrowed the field from 10 to six.

"I was pleased with the primary results and I'm looking forward to hearing what the voters say," Catotti said. "I hope that the citizens will concur that we are doing a good job and will support the team of incumbents."

The challengers, however, believe the City Council needs the addition of new voices in order to move Durham forward.

"If you want change... you shouldn't be looking to the incumbents because they're not giving it to you," Monks said. "There needs to be enough changed members on the council to make an impact."

Candidates said it is most essential for Durham citizens to go to the polls today.

"I hope Durham citizens vote, and of course, I hope one of those votes will be for me," said Harris, a longtime grassroots activist. "I wish we would use our constitutional right... that's our voice."

Share and discuss “Heated campaigns close today” on social media.