SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke looks for revenge in rematch

As an attempted Tim Jepson clear ricocheted into the Duke net in double overtime Oct. 11, the Tar Heels' bench exploded, forming a jubilant pile in the North Carolina zone.

Now, more than a month later, the No. 21 Blue Devils (11-6-1, 4-3-1 in the ACC) get a shot at revenge against their rivals. For the team's 13 seniors and head coach John Rennie, it will be a final chance to face the Tar Heels (6-7-5, 3-5-0), this time in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament at 5:30 p.m. in Cary's SAS Soccer Complex.

"It's definitely a great chance for us to get a little revenge," Jepson said. "Just the fact that it's UNC. It's a UNC-Duke game-you've always got to get up for that."

The rivalry matchups have been defensive-minded recently, with just two total goals scored in the last four games between the two squads. The only goal the Blue Devils managed against the Tar Heels' defense in that span was an own goal last season.

North Carolina remains balanced offensively and strong defensively, led by senior center back Andre Sherard. Duke, however, does not have a special plan for attacking the Tar Heels.

"It's just like any other team," midfielder Joe Germanese said. "It's about moving the ball quickly, and it's about getting in behind their defense and it's about finishing the opportunities that we do have.... If we can score a goal early on them, that would be huge. If we score in the first 10 minutes or so, that's just a huge blow to any team, and [it helps] your team's confidence."

Jumping out in front early will be especially important if the Blue Devils are without senior co-captain Michael Videira, who is questionable with a quadriceps injury. Videira has not played since Oct. 31 and probably will not start against North Carolina. Duke hopes he will be back for the NCAA tournament and does not want to rush him back onto the pitch.

Senior goalkeeper Justin Papadakis will also not be in the starting lineup. Backup Brendan Fitzgerald will get his second consecutive start after blanking N.C. State Saturday.

"We wanted him to get a start in a real competitive game," Rennie said. "I don't want to say the N.C. State game wasn't competitive, but the goalkeeper didn't have much to do. So we'll give him the start [today], and I'm sure he'll be tested."

The Blue Devils do not plan on approaching the game any differently knowing that Fitzgerald will be between the pipes rather than Papadakis. The keepers have identical 1.12 goals against averages, and Fitzgerald has shutouts in both of his starts this year.

"Brendan and Justin are both great goalies," Germanese said. "As a team, I think we feel 100-percent confident with either one. We're just fortunate to have two quality goalies like that on the team."

Although Duke will be missing some familiar faces in its quarterfinal lineup, several others have gotten healthier since the regular-season meeting with the Tar Heels. That game was Jepson's first of the year, and Zack Pope and Spencer Wadsworth were still recovering from offseason surgeries.

"Defensively, as a team, we've improved a lot," Germanese said. "All th e way from the forward line to the defense, I think we're playing better team defense. We're working harder for each other, we're winning second balls, our backs aren't letting the ball bounce-they're winning everything in the air."

The Blue Devils know they will have to compensate without Videira to advance in their quest to take home a third consecutive conference crown. They also know that they cannot get caught up in seeking revenge against North Carolina-but the incentive of playing their rivals will be present nonetheless.

"No matter what team you play, you always want to win, but especially [against] UNC, just because of the history that we've had in the last four years," Jepson said.

Share and discuss “Duke looks for revenge in rematch” on social media.