Union will fund, host Halloween activities

An event planned to add Duke flair to partygoers' Halloweens before they head to Franklin Street provoked divisive discussion at Duke University Union's meeting Tuesday night.

Vice President of Programming Adam Nathan, a sophomore, put forth a proposal for a joint venture with Duke Student Government, Campus Council and DUU to provide an opportunity for students to enjoy themselves on Duke's campus as a community, in much the same way that students celebrate Tailgate before football games.

The initial proposal specified that DSG would supply kegs, Campus Council would create a T-shirt design and DUU would provide a disc jockey and much of the funds. After debating about the topic extensively, however, a majority of members agreed on a bring-your-own-beverage setup rather than kegs. The Union also decided to look into providing buses to transport students to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill after the Duke festivities end.

Members suggested that buses be funded through the Robertson Scholars grant program. Union officers decided they would support providing transportation even without this funding and plan to wait for a formal proposal before making an official decision.

The Union also discussed topics ranging from Joe College Day, which will be held Saturday, to a need to send representatives to speak with the architect for Central Campus, as well as a number of ideas for upcoming University parties.

Joe College Day co-director Max Entman, a senior, gave a status report on the progress of planning for the event, and said preparations for it are nearly complete.

"Everything is really coming together," he said. He then went on to ask DUU members to assist with selling meal tickets, and said the iTunes program-which allows students to get a preview of the Joe College Day entertainment-and plans for a beer garden seem to be going well.

Union members addressed programs planned for tonight as well, including the speech by John Amaechi, who was the first NBA player to publicly announce that he is gay, and the Dukes of Durham party, which will take place on the McClendon Walkway.

A debate arose when the subject of complimentary tickets provided to members for Union events was brought up. Major Attractions Co-Chair Chamindra Goonewardene, a junior, questioned whether the $500 spent per event on these tickets was necessary. Members eventually agreed on penalties for members who did not pick up tickets they had requested.

A proposed black-tie formal event at the Washington Duke Inn garnered praise from members as a good opportunity for all students to enjoy an event similar to those typically hosted by Greek organizations on campus. The possibility of the event taking place in February is being explored, but there was concern over whether it would conflict with other second semester Union plans.

Major Speakers Chair Isel Del Valle, a senior, said the black-tie idea could be incorporated into a separate event, like Duke Royale, but the group decided that it would be worth pursuing as an independent function because of the amount of time available in February.

Union President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior, said work was in progress with Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., to expand their "Rock the Mic" nights into a bigger, campus-wide occasion at some point, but added that the initiative is still in planning stages.

Officers finished by covering the possibility of actor James Earl Jones coming to speak for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Members expressed concern over his speaking fee of $42,000, and many said they wanted to get more concrete information before committing any funds.

Share and discuss “Union will fund, host Halloween activities” on social media.