Thompson to step down in August

Robert Thompson, after an 11-year deanship, is returning to the classroom Aug. 1, 2008, University officials announced Thursday.

"[I am] especially proud of our accomplishments in enhancing undergraduate education and in establishing an undergraduate culture of research," Thompson, dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, wrote in an e-mail to George McLendon, dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences.

During Thompson's term, he helped draft Curriculum 2000, encouraged the creation of the Office of Undergraduate Research Support and served as co-chair of the Campus Culture Initiative Steering Committee. When he steps down at the end of the summer, he will return to teaching.

"In the most difficult of circumstances, Bob and his colleagues directed our attention to areas in which the Duke undergraduate experience could be further strengthened through changes in the classroom and beyond," Provost Peter Lange said in a statement. "I anticipate and hope that we will be able to continue to draw on his experience and vision as we continue to grow the programs that he has initiated."

Thompson was named dean of undergraduate affairs for Trinity College in 1997 and dean of Trinity College two years later. In 2004, he was appointed as vice provost for undergraduate education. During his time at Duke, Thompson also served as director of the Undergraduate Program in Human Development and co-director of the Faculty Associates Program.

"Bob has provided superb leadership in rethinking and remaking undergraduate education in Trinity College," Lange said. "He has been a critical participant and often the leader in the most critical curricular innovations of the last decade. He has also not simply trusted that his education instincts were right, but has driven the process to assure that we assess, analyze and reshape our teaching undertakings based on strong data and careful thought."

Share and discuss “Thompson to step down in August” on social media.