student artist profile

What do a ghost, a doctor and an ancient Roman gay pimp have in common?

The answer, of course, is sophomore Michael Bergen. A classical civilization and theater studies double major, Bergen is an actor who is intent on exploring the limits of the stage and one who carries theater in his veins.

Raised by two theater teachers, one with a background in directing and the other in acting, Bergen grew up making the stage his home and theater his craft. Debuting at the age of six in school plays, Bergen quickly moved on to join the Backlot Production Shakespeare Company at the age of eight. A non-profit theater troupe located in Clarksville, TN, the production company unfortunately folded when Bergen was 14. Nevertheless, in his time with Backlot he racked up some meaty roles-beating out even college students-in some of Shakespeare's finest plays, including A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merry Wives of Windsor and Much Ado About Nothing.

When not performing Shakespeare, Bergen earned his comedic stripes serving an excruciating tour of duty of improvisation with Backlot. Entertaining restless kindergartners, Bergen not only became field-tested, but also developed a deep respect and liking for the acting form.

"Improv, to me, is theater in its purest form," Bergen said. "It's not only a means of keeping a show fresh for actors, but it's also a real challenge playing off one another and knowing what works with the audience and how far you can go."

Since coming to Duke, Bergen has dabbled in musicals, one-acts and most recently returned to comedic improvisation with his part in the Duke Players' three-man show The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged).

"I want to make somebody laugh," Bergen said. "It's an alleviation of stress. it's one of the most visceral, basic things you can do as a human being."

With his parents serving as his inspiration, especially his mother Emily who just recently returned to the stage herself, Bergen fully intends to jump into the theater community immediately after graduating. Despite a preference for comedy and the stage, this actor is prepared for any venue or even the later possibility of teaching theater.

"He'll always bring something new, something unexpected and a new approach to any character," said senior Rob Baird, director of Shakespeare (Abridged).

A play-reading chair for Hoof 'n Horn and member of the Duke Players, Bergen's current goal is to be as involved in the Duke Theater community as possible. In addition to the formal training he is receiving in his classes, he is also making his sixth Duke appearance in the upcoming production of Pericles, presented by the Duke Theater Studies Department.

"Being on stage is as much of a thrill as I have encountered and about as much as I hope to encounter," Bergen said. "I don't think I could handle anything more."

Share and discuss “student artist profile” on social media.