More sophs make use of career help

Donning pressed suits and winning smiles, freshmen and sophomores fit right in with seniors looking to land jobs and juniors searching for internship opportunities at this year's Career Fair.

Since last year, increasing numbers of underclassmen have been taking advantage of Career Center services and participating in its events, center representatives reported.

In 2007, 451 sophomores, a 15-percent increase from last year and approximately 27 percent of the Class of 2010, visited the Career Center, according to statistics compiled by the center. In addition, sophomores made up 12 percent of students that signed in at this year's fair.

"It's never too early to start thinking about how one can prepare for a career," sophomore Kristin Knouse said.

Sheila Curran, Fannie Mitchell executive director of the Career Center, said she supports underclassmen attending the fair because it lets them "see what's out there."

"The earlier we can get students to explore, the better," she said. Curran noted that it is much more difficult to start planning as a senior because there is less time for students to go down "false routes" at that stage.

Some students, however, said the fairs are usually targeted at upperclassmen.

Sophomore Emily Sherman, who did not attend the fair, said students can go prepared with resumes, but ultimately employers are only interested in considering juniors and seniors.

"They're not looking for sophomores, period," she said.

Even though underclassmen may not come away with an offer, sophomore Lucy McKinstry, a member of the Career Advising Team, said she thinks it is still a good opportunity to gain exposure to various employers and career options.

Curran noted that employers are looking for younger students interested in internships because these opportunities give students valuable experience.

"The student who acts like someone who has more experience will eventually [get the job]," she added.

Renee Earle, a U.S. Department of State diplomat in residence at Duke, said many internships lead directly to employment.

In the case of the U.S. Department, internships are not offered to seniors, she said, noting that starting early gives students the flexibility to alter their course work based on their interest in a particular field.

"I'm thrilled when young people come to learn about these things in time," Earle said. "The more information and the earlier you get it, it seems the more prepared you are for the next step."

Some students said they are not ready to start thinking about a career or the Career Fair has nothing to offer them. Others noted that the fair is geared toward economic majors and does not cater to other areas of studies, such as the arts.

Curran, however, said it is a common misconception that the Career Center only invites business-related companies. Often, these are the only companies interested in recruiting because they are the ones that need people working at the entry level, she added.

The Career Center encourages students to speak with its counselors whenever they are ready to start thinking about or planning for a career.

"It's whenever you're ready," Curran said. "Some people are ready to think about a career as freshmen, but some aren't ready until senior year."

Share and discuss “More sophs make use of career help” on social media.