SPORTS  |  SOCCER

KNOCKED OFF THEIR HEELS

CHAPEL HILL - This was not the first Tar Heel strike Duke wanted to see in 424 minutes of action against its rivals.

Playing in front of the largest crowd in UNC men's soccer history at Fetzer Field, the No. 9 Blue Devils (7-4-0, 2-2-0 in the ACC) were controlling overtime, playing the best they had all game. But the Tar Heels (4-3-4, 2-2-0) were the ones to score the first offensive goal in the Tobacco Road rivalry since 2004. A fluke goal two and a half minutes into the second overtime propelled UNC to a 1-0 victory and sent Duke to its second straight loss.

North Carolina's Ryan Adeleye was credited with the game-winner after the ball bounced around and finally into the Blue Devil net. Jordan Graye headed a Michael Callahan corner kick toward the goal, but Duke knocked it out. Adeleye headed it back toward the net and defender Tim Jepson attempted to clear it. But the ball ricocheted off a Blue Devil player and into the back of the net.

"When you've got 20 guys in the 6-yard box, it's tough to clear a ball from that line," Jepson said. "The goal might be a lucky goal. Sometimes the bounces go your way, sometimes they don't. You've just got to roll with them."

Duke's best chance to win came during the first overtime. After a back-and-forth regulation, the Blue Devils dominated the extra session, firing three shots on goal-one more than they had during the first and second halves combined.

Forward Mike Grella launched a shot high of the goal just over a minute into the period. Four minutes later, Joe Germanese ripped a dangerous shot at North Carolina goalkeeper Tyler Deric, who bobbled the ball before smothering it. Duke, however, was unable to convert, opening the door for the Tar Heels to win their first overtime game in six attempts this season.

"You have to take those chances and win the game," head coach John Rennie said. "You have to do that if you're going to beat an outstanding opponent on their field in front of the biggest crowd in their history. You have to take your chances, and we didn't do that."

Those opportunities were scarce early in the game. The teams combined for just one shot in the first half-a Zack Pope attempt from the right side in the 16th minute. North Carolina had an apparent goal called back in the sixth minute because it was offsides, and midfielder Zach Loyd missed a chance in the 32nd after being given a yellow card for a dive near the Blue Devil goal.

The Tar Heels came out aggressively in the second half, but Duke withstood the charge.

"There were stretches of the game where I thought they had us back on our heels, but we held together defensively," Germanese said. "In the two overtimes, we had them on their heels. It's just unfortunate that the ball bounced their way at the end, and they got the goal and we didn't."

The Blue Devils were pleased with their effort in the game-and specifically with the performance of Jepson. The senior co-captain played all 103 minutes in his return from a hamstring injury.

Thursday's contest was the first time Jepson and the other seniors have lost to North Carolina. The Tar Heels had not beaten Duke since 2003, but every game since had been decided by a goal or less-and North Carolina's latest win was no different.

"It was a typical UNC-Duke game," Jepson said. "You really don't have a win until the last few minutes of the game."

Share and discuss “KNOCKED OFF THEIR HEELS” on social media.