Fair draws students to Raleigh

Candy bars, Coca-Cola and everything in between were deep fried to perfection and turkey legs were grilled by the hundreds at the North Carolina State Fair.

Sunday marked the culmination of the annual event, where as many as 750,000 people gathered over 10 days to enjoy carnival rides and celebrate local prized produce, farm animals and craftwork.

"It's a normal state fair--no bigger, no better, no worse," said Jim Thomas, a Cary resident who recently moved from Florida.

But for State Fair veteran Jessica Richards, another Cary resident , the layout and overall appeal of this fair seemed to have improved from previous ones.

The summer-like weather, however, was less than ideal for her, Richards said.

This year, the State Fair introduced water conservation measures and environmentally friendly policies to the operations of the exposition, which was first held in 1853.

As in years past, Duke students did not forgo the chance to partake in this local tradition.

"We were manning the Republican booth earlier, and now we're just messing around," said freshman David Piccirilli, a member of College Republicans at Duke.

After a two-hour shift registering voters, Piccirilli and fellow freshman Brian Pike, wandered off in search of carnival games with appealing prizes.

"I'm very disappointed at the lack of Duke stuff around here," said Piccirilli, who eventually won a giant Duke foam ball.

The dearth of Duke paraphernalia did not stop students from taking advantage of the festivities at the State Fair.

Groups of Dukies were seen around the 344-acre fairgrounds throughout the duration of the fair.

Pi Beta Phi sorority even hosted an official date function at the State Fair Saturday night. The sorority provided transportation to and from the fairgrounds and paid for rides for about 80 students.

"We think, as a sorority, that it's important to support the state of North Carolina," said senior Nona Farahnik, a member of Pi Beta Phi. "It offers a lot of different activities and plain, good, wholesome fun in a dry environment where alcohol can't be abused and where fun is maximized."

The sorority hosted a surprise date function at the State Fair last year in order to promote a sober, yet enjoyable, activity and make a positive contribution to the community, said Pi Beta Phi President Emily Wygod, a senior.

Despite the size of the group, no one was hurt at the fair, and everyone made it back to campus safely, she said.

"There were cops everywhere," Wygod said. "I'd feel safe if I were by myself."

Joel Keith, public safety and security officer of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- which runs the State Fair-noted that it was a "relatively

quiet fair."

There were approximately 400 officers available throughout the 10 days, Keith said, adding that the number of officers on duty at any given time depended on the volume of visitors.

"I've seen more cops," Richards said. "As far as safety, it feels safer this year."

But the presence of officers both in uniform and undercover could not prevent the usual arrests for trespassing and misconduct.

"There's nothing I or you can do to prevent people from coming to the State Fair that don't like each other," Keith said. "Nobody died last year and nobody'll die this year."

Share and discuss “Fair draws students to Raleigh” on social media.