SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke finishes 6th at Illini Invite

As defending champions of the Fighting Illini Invitational, the Blue Devils entered this weekend's play with confidence--and comfort.

Because of the team's win last year, Duke stayed in the clubhouse of Olympia Fields Country Club, site of the 2003 U.S. Open.

But even the swanky accommodations could not compensate for the conditions on the links, where the team faced 25 to 35 mile-per-hour winds on Day 1 and slower greens on Day 2 from rain the night before.

Duke, however, was unable to cut into the stroke deficit built over the first two rounds, finishing the two-day, 54-hole tournament Monday at 37-over and in sixth place, 20 strokes behind champion Oklahoma State.

The Blue Devils carded the fourth-best round on the Invitational's final day by shooting a 14-over 294, yet the effort was not enough to move the team up the leaderboard significantly and left the players frustrated with their performances.

"We were disappointed with how the tournament turned out because we were really looking for a win," sophomore Adam Long said. "Putting was the biggest difference, the greens were really fast."

Long, who paced the team throughout the tournament, opened Monday's round by firing three birdies over his first five holes. The sophomore carded an 8-over 218 for the event, but his 2-over-par round on the final day lifted him 10 spots up the leaderboard to finish 12th place overall.

Duke also was supported by strong performances from junior Clark Klaasen and freshman Matt Pierce. Klaasen posted a 4-over 74 in the final round and went 11-over-par for the tournament, which gave him a share of 21st place. Pierce finished his 54 holes at 12-over and tied for 35th place.

Junior Andrew Giuliani, playing in his first event of the fall season, led the Blue Devils in birdies with eight-including a pair on the 580-yard, par-5 first hole. Giuliani's birdie total was 10th highest in the event's field.

Giuliani carded a 14-over 224 for the tournament, as he was plagued by four bogeys and two double-bogeys in his final round to finish in a tie for 36th.

The Cowboys' collective score of 17-over 857 left them seven strokes ahead of second place Texas. Indiana, Florida State and Stanford rounded out the top five with team scores of 870, 874 and 876, respectively.

The Blue Devils next hit the links Oct. 7 when they host the Duke Classic at the Duke University Golf Club.

Share and discuss “Duke finishes 6th at Illini Invite” on social media.