Both Duke squads mark start of practices Friday

Both the men's and women's basketball teams kicked off the 2007-08 season over the weekend with their first official practices of the year.

The men held their first practice Friday night at 7. DeMarcus Nelson is the team's only senior and was voted the team's captain. Unlike last season, the Blue Devils will have only one captain this year.

"It's a prestigious honor to be named captain here," Nelson said. "The most important thing is winning and going out there and leading by example. I need to be a role model for the young guys coming up and use the experience that I have to make sure that everyone on the team is doing the right things, that we're working hard, practicing hard and getting better."

Those young guys include three freshmen: guard Nolan Smith and forwards Kyle Singler and Taylor King. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said Singler would start if the season began now.

A number of Duke's players are recovering from off-season surgeries. Nelson has come back strong from a left wrist injury while Greg Paulus and Brian Zoubek have bounced back from foot surgeries. Forward Dave McClure is still coming back from surgery on his left knee and has not started practicing with the team.

The annual Blue/White Scrimmage is Oct. 27.

The women completed their first practice under new head coach Joanne P. McCallie Friday at 7 in Card Gymnasium.

"I loved the energy, I loved the enthusiasm and everybody gave a great effort," McCallie said. "It was a three-hour practice and to be quite honest with you, it feels like more like a two hour."

The Blue Devils return three starters from last season's 32-2 squad. Senior Wanisha Smith and juniors Abby Waner and Carrem Gay are back, as is junior Chante Black, who missed all of last season with a knee injury.

"They are very quick learners," McCallie said. "I am very impressed. They have picked up things very quickly in terms with what we've tried to teach."

Duke adds the third-best recruiting class in the nation with Jasmine Thomas, Krystal Thomas and Karima Christmas.

The Blue Devils will have their first-ever Blue/White scrimmage Oct. 28.

Share and discuss “Both Duke squads mark start of practices Friday” on social media.