SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils take momentum on road

Drawing toward the end of an inconsistent season, Duke is trying to rediscover its winning ways.

After losing three consecutive contests, No. 19 Duke (9-5-1) has gone unbeaten in its last three games, a stretch highlighted by a tie with then-No. 4 Virginia Tech Oct. 23 and a double-overtime win over then-No. 10 Virginia three days later. With three regular season matches remaining, the Blue Devils are looking to maintain their rejuvenated swagger heading into postseason play. Duke's next two games, starting at 7 p.m. tonight at Davidson (4-10-1), are against non-conference teams-a welcome reprieve from the rigorous ACC schedule.

"It's good to play teams that aren't as familiar with us as the teams in the conference," head coach John Rennie said. "It makes it a little easier in that regard."

The Blue Devils have already surpassed last year's loss total of four, dropping two of three games in early September. Duke may be coming together at just the right time, however, as senior co-captain Tim Jepson is back from injury. Spencer Wadsworth, Zack Pope and Joshua Medcalf have also worked themselves back into shape after suffering injuries that had hampered their performance earlier in the year, Rennie said.

Even after Jepson's Oct. 11 return against North Carolina, Duke struggled to find its groove. The Blue Devils fell to the Tar Heels and surrendered three goals to Wake Forest in the following game before stopping the skid in a 1-1 tie with the Hokies.

"We thought we'd be healthy by early October, [but] it turns out we're getting healthy in the end of October," Rennie said. "Getting guys back on the field and having them play together took a couple games, and now we feel pretty good about the way the whole team is functioning."

Davidson recently broke out of an even longer losing streak of its own. After dropping 10 of their first 11 games, including seven consecutive losses at the end of that stretch, the Wildcats have gone unbeaten in their last four contests.

Davidson was 3-0-1 in that run, including wins over Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina and Wofford. The Wildcats host the Blue Devils-who they shut out 2-0 in Duke's last visit to Alumni Stadium in 2003-in search of a marquee win to highlight their resurgence.

"This is a big, big game for Davidson," Rennie said. "They're not having a great season, and they can make it alright if they can beat Duke. You'll expect their very, very best, and we'd better be ready."

Over the past few years, the Blue Devils have become accustomed to being a target in every game. But it is slightly different when the match is against the Wildcats and lacks the intensity of the Carolina game or the incentive of playing a top-five opponent like Wake Forest, Rennie said.

"It's more difficult for the players," Rennie said. "It's not a big-name team and most of these guys aren't aware that Davidson can beat you. It's a mental thing right now. We've worked very hard to get back on the winning track and we need to give our best effort against everybody."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils take momentum on road” on social media.