Wallace Wade renovation unhelpful, illogical

If you build it, they won't come. I cannot understand the clearly flawed logic of dumping money into a Wallace Wade renovation. It subscribes to the fiction in Field Of Dreams. I love the movie, but Kevin Costner is not on the Board of Trustees, nor is he running our Athletic Department.

There are two obvious things to consider in evaluating this renovation proposal. First something positive they could do for Duke football instead, and second something that this renovation will take away from the Duke community. If Duke and our newly reappointed Athletic Director want to help Duke football I suggest they go out and buy the best coaching staff they can find. I'd love for them to start by going to Bill Cowher's house in North Raleigh and commence groveling.

It all starts with good coaching which allows for better recruiting and on-field play. Once the guys are here with the good coaches the synergy can be created, then the wins can happen. That draws people into the stands. Once we are at that lovely problem of having too many sold-out games we can renovate Wally Wade. You don't have to be smarter than a fifth grader to figure this out.

Now turn to the renovation concept. It includes the destruction of the only IAAF certified international track and field facility with the top-of-the-line surface in the state of North Carolina. Add to that the fact that Duke hosts the 4th/5th largest track invitational in the United States each year and has hosted the NCAA D-1 Championships here and even the Pan-Am Games. Track might not be a revenue sport, but huge numbers of athletes and non-athletes at Duke use the track. So I cry out to you all. Object to this proposal. Object to this crime against logic. Object to this desire to take away something you use. Above all, object to the kind of inefficient and wasteful decision that hurts the football team and hurts the Duke community.

Jeremy Block

Ph.D./MPP candidate '10

Trinity '03

Share and discuss “Wallace Wade renovation unhelpful, illogical” on social media.