Union unites with Concert Series

Unfazed and unaffected by all of the recent debate surrounding the ever-so-nebulous Campus Culture Initiative, the Duke University Union has simply continued to do what it has always done-: initiate different ways of-and programs for-bringing Duke students together to have fun. The Campus Concert Series, which kicked off with student band Hopus last Saturday on the Bryan Center Plaza, is DUU's latest program.

The goal of the Campus Concert Series is to use music to unite, something that isn't a new concept, but has yet to really take root on campus. An evolution from last year's All Campus Entertainment Program, the Campus Concert Series has a new home, a new schedule and even a new vision this year. For now, the program has a two-pronged goal. It will consistently feature Duke and regional artists every Friday at Armadillo Grill's new back patio from 4-8 p.m.

Secondly, the CCS committee aims to bring student organizations together. Through inter-group collaboration, the committee plans to co-sponsor several events all over campus, similar to last spring's Beta-DUU SoundFest music festival. However, this year, the program will especially focus on bringing a musical element to events that are already in place and already have a built-in audience, such as Tailgate.

"I think it's a great program," Hopus guitarist and junior Manick Bhan said. "I think that there isn't enough stuff that goes on on campus... where people all come together and just have fun."

For Cameron Harms, the programming director of the Campus Concert Series, these Friday concerts are only the beginning.

"Hopefully these concerts will gain enough popularity with the students that Duke will eventually become an area where traveling bands will want to stop and perform," Harms, a junior, said.

Eager to build Duke up as a venue in its own right, Harms is also optimistic that the success of the program will encourage the administration to work on and build more venues around campus, adding to the BC Plaza and the Dillo patio.

In addition to solidifying Duke as a musical venue, DUU President Katelyn Donnelly wants the committee to further establish itself as a source of aid for student musicians or any other group who is planning an event. Not only is the Campus Concert Series committee eager to help groups find Duke and regional bands to book for events, but they are also willing to loan out their sound equipment or help fund student-organized events.

As for Duke artists on the rise, Donnelly hopes to combine the Campus Concert Series with DUU's Small Town Records to "offer up a whole package of publicity," including funding, marketing and studio support to help the growth of Duke bands. However, for now, the focus is just on spreading the word and actually getting students to come.

Low levels of student attendance at campus performances have always been a formidable obstacle for music programs, so Donnelly and Harms are both hoping to harness the power of free food and beer. In order to lure students to their upcoming co-sponsored music events, Donnelly is working to tap into the Campus Keg Fund, and Harms is counting on the Armadillo's "Social Hour" food and micro-brewed beer specials.

Several students, when asked about the program, agreed that the Friday afternoon timing and the location make it more likely that they will check out the concerts.

"I haven't heard anything about the program yet," junior Brett Rosenthal said. "But I eat at the Dillo enough that I'll probably be there, so I will check it out."

With free food, a consistent schedule and the optimal pre-weekend time slot secured, the Campus Concert Series seems to be off to a good start. However, the success of the program rests on student turn-out and support, which remains to be seen.

"I think DUU is really making an effort to provide entertainment and intellectual stimulation with our speakers, music programs and Broadway shows. And I think CCS is simply another way for students to gather together and have fun," Harms said.

Share and discuss “Union unites with Concert Series” on social media.