Student injured in revelry after football victory

A falling goalpost injured a student outside the Duke Chapel just before midnight Saturday in the midst of celebration following Duke's 20-14 victory over Northwestern in Evanston, Ill.

Duke University Police Department officials said the victim, identified by students as sophomore Priya Patel, was responsive, stable and speaking as she was taken away on a stretcher.

Patel was released early this morning from Duke Hospital. She told The Chronicle that she was knocked unconscious and experienced minor head trauma but was feeling good Sunday.

As the silent student body took a knee in a circle, Patel left in an ambulance from the Chapel steps, escorted by DUPD officers and emergency medical technicians.

"We brought the goalpost up here and set it down," said sophomore Frank Jemison. "For some reason, some jackasses tried to stand it up, and one of [the posts] fell backward. It hit her right on the head. She spasmed and hit the ground."

DUPD Major Michael Snellgrove said the officers present as the injury occurred tried to contain the student reaction.

"With the number of students who were here, it was bound to happen." he said. "I can say, a few people were drunk, and that's all you needed."

The rush to tear down the goalpost ensued following the Blue Devils' first victory in 23 games. Around 20 people stormed Wallace Wade Stadium, but a DUPD officer parked on the edge of the track stopped a first attempt.

Students then rallied on top of the stadium with hundreds of others to charge the field again.

"The security guards kicked us off [once], and then we counted to 10 and rushed," said freshman Andrew Baroncelli, who also witnessed the goalpost falling on Patel.

The students took just more than a minute to bring the goalpost down and immediately began carrying it out of the stadium.

Students carried the goalpost between Cameron Indoor Stadium and Wilson Recreation Center and then followed a path around the east side of West Campus to Chapel Drive.

After pausing for a moment close to the West Campus bus stop, students tried to erect the goal post in front of the Chapel. Police tried to stop the attempt but could not before one of the posts fell on Patel, a student said.

Duke University Emergency Medical Services arrived on the scene within 10 minutes of the accident. Patel was removed on a stretcher by Durham County EMS. Officials at Duke Hospital said they could not divulge any information about patients.

Some students gathered in front of the Chapel doors and prayed after the incident.

After medical officials took Patel away, Snellgrove organized around 20 students and Duke maintenance employees to take apart the goalpost and carry it back, piece-by-piece. The parts were placed in a facility near Wallace Wade.

Pete Kiehart, Meredith Shiner and David Graham contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Student injured in revelry after football victory” on social media.