Duke offense comes up short in second half

After suffering their third loss on a game's final play over the last 15 games, the Blue Devils must have had just one question on their minds following Saturday's tilt at Navy-how did we lose?

Although the defense allowed 540 yards to the Midshipmen, Duke's offense turned in one of its best performances in years. The Blue Devils scored 35 points in the first half, the most since 1999, and quarterback Thaddeus Lewis and wideout Eron Riley each had career days.

But when Duke analyzes the tape of yet another heartbreaking loss, the coaches will see that their team's inability to execute late in the game cost Duke its chance at its first winning streak since 2003.

"It's so disappointing," head coach Ted Roof said. "We had our chances, but we didn't close the deal.... That's a game that we had an opportunity to win, and you don't get missed opportunities back."

In the first half, offensive coordinator Peter Vaas simply had his way with Navy's defense, calling play after successful play. Coming off of last weekend's impressive performance, Lewis continued to carve up the opponent's secondary with a 14-of-21, 289-yard and three-touchdown stat line going into the break. The running game even saw a glimmer of improvement when Vaas called rushes from the shotgun formation rather than the I-set.

But just like the win over Northwestern last Saturday, Duke's offense did not execute as well in the second half, especially when it counted most.

"We were practicing their defense all week," Riley said. "We came out and executed our game plan for most of the game. It worked well for most of the game, but kind of fell off at the end.... It's a four-quarter game, so you can't assume that after two quarters the game is over."

Leading 43-32 heading into the fourth quarter, Duke's offense recorded only its second three-and-out of the game, failed to convert any of its three third downs, and most importantly, accrued 35 yards of penalties in critical situations.

A personal foul penalty at the start of the period backed the Blue Devils out of kicker Greg Myers' range, resulting in a missed field goal. A holding penalty negated an 80-yard touchdown catch and run by wide receiver Jomar Wright, which would have all but ended Navy's chances of a comeback. Another holding penalty later that drive nullified a 16-yard pass, which would have given Duke a first down on the Midshipmen's 26-yard line with less than a minute to play. On the following snap, now forced to throw a dangerous pass on third-and-long, Lewis's ball was intercepted and Navy began its game-winning drive.

With only three penalties during the first three quarters combined, Duke once again showed its inability to focus in the game's most crucial moments.

"We knew coming into the football game it was going to go for four quarters," Roof said. "We prepared that way. The two penalties there on the last drive offensively were big.... We didn't get it done. This one hurts."

Although the Blue Devils' offense returned all 11 starters from last season, Duke is still inexperienced when it comes to winning. Even with the best players, the best coaches and the best game plans, a team may still lose merely because it cannot find a way to win with its back against a wall.

"The leadership on this team has to step up and bring everybody together," Lewis said. "We know how we came out and played and we know that we had opportunities. This time when we go back to the game plan, we just have to tell ourselves to prevent from losing. Every opportunity we have, we've got to capitalize on it."

As the Blue Devils attempt to come back from another debilitating loss, they hope to be prepared for the next time opportunity comes knocking.

Share and discuss “Duke offense comes up short in second half” on social media.