Duke hopes Tauiliili's return strengthens defense

When Duke opens a four-game road trip at Virginia intent on snapping a double-digit losing streak, it will have some welcome help at linebacker.

Junior Mike Tauiliili will suit up for the first time this season when the Blue Devils take the field Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. at noon.

A 5-11, 235 lb. junior from Alief, Texas, Tauiliili sat out the Connecticut game, serving a one-game suspension for an Aug. 4 arrest for driving while impaired, gun charges and simple assault.

Tauiliili has been one of Duke's defensive stalwarts in his first two seasons in Durham, leading the team in tackles and winning Most Outstanding Defensive Player honors each year.

"He's been our leading tackler," head coach Ted Roof said. "From a production standpoint and from an experience standpoint, you're adding that to the mix. He's been very humbled by the experience, as well he should. I'm ready to see how he's going to play."

Fellow linebacker Vincent Rey, who started in Tauiliili's spot last week and registered a career-high 17 tackles, will shift over to weak-side linebacker against Virginia. Rey said he is glad to have his teammate back on the field and feels that the addition of Tauiliili will bolster the unit's level of play.

"It helps to solidify the group," Rey said of Tauiliili's return. "For one, he's a playmaker-a proven playmaker. He just helps us because there are now four of us-myself, Mike, Alfred [Williams] and Tim [Ball]. Us four, any four of us can go out there and play."

Duke will have a chance to bounce back from its 45-14 loss to the Huskies against a Cavaliers team that struggled mightily in its first game of the season. Virginia was trounced 23-3 at Wyoming last Saturday, finishing with negative three rushing yards and 100 total yards on offense.

UVa quarterback Jameel Sewell was intercepted twice, forcing head coach Al Groh to plug in true freshman quarterback Peter Lalich later in the game.

Despite these offensive struggles, the Cavaliers return 10 starters from a defense that played a key role in Virginia's 37-0 shutout of Duke last season in Durham.

Even with an abundance of experience along the Virginia defense, senior guard Zach Maurides is ready for any challenge the Cavaliers present Saturday.

"We know that they're going to have the same exact tendencies as players," Maurides said. "Clearly, there is not going to be a huge change in their defensive schemes. I'm going to play against pretty much the same guys I played against last year, and I know exactly what to expect, I know what they exploited in me last year and what I need to change in my play, so I think that's a positive thing for us."

Another advantage the Blue Devils believe they have is their ability to bounce back from tough losses. Last year, Duke followed up a lackluster 13-0 season-opening loss against Division I-AA Richmond with an admirable effort at Wake Forest the following weekend. Riding a 305-yard passing day by quaterback Thaddeus Lewis in his first collegiate start, the Blue Devils put themselves in position to win on a last-second field goal, only to have it blocked by the Demon Deacons as time expired.

"You're always going to see the best improvement in a team between a first and second game," Maurides said. "I expect us to come out next week completely tightened up, performing on third down, being consistent on every play, eliminating the mental errors and missed assignments. I hope we go out there and just beat Virginia down."

Share and discuss “Duke hopes Tauiliili's return strengthens defense” on social media.