Duke drops heartbreaker

ANNAPOLIS, Md.-Duke went toe to toe with Navy for nearly 60 minutes in an offensive shootout Saturday, but it was the game's final play that led to an all-too familiar result.

Duke could not put away Navy despite career-best days from quarterback Thaddeus Lewis and wide receiver Eron Riley, and Midshipmen backup kicker Joey Bullen nailed a 44-yard field goal as time expired, handing Duke (1-3, 0-1 in ACC) a heartbreaking 46-43 loss Saturday at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

"They both had a big day statistically, and made some plays that put us in position to win the football game," Roof said. "But at the same time, when we make those plays that give us opportunities to win, we've got to do it. We've got to close the door, and we didn't close the door today. If we don't do that, it'll cost us, and it cost us dearly."

Propelled by stellar performances from Lewis-who went 23-36 for 428 yards with four touchdowns-and Riley with six receptions for 235 yards and four touchdowns, Duke held the lead from halftime until deep into the fourth quarter. With 3:49 left in the game, Navy quarterback Jarod Bryant scored on a 5-yard quarterback throwback play after an eight-play, 65-yard drive. Bryant, who replaced an exhausted Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada in that quarter, ran the ball into the end zone on the ensuing two-point conversion to level the score at 43.

The Blue Devils had a chance to counter in their final offensive possession but were undone by a Lewis interception and a pair of questionable holding penalties. Wide receiver Jomar Wright took a dump-off pass the length of the field on the first play of that drive for what appeared to be a touchdown, but a tenuous holding call on Riley near midfield brought the ball all the way back to their own 36-yard line.

Duke still seemed likely to overcome the missed call. Running back Re'Quan Boyette ripped off a pair of first down runs, putting the Blue Devils at the Navy 41. Facing a third-and-11 situation, Lewis converted with a 16-yard pass to wide receiver Raphael Chestnut, only to have a holding call on freshman tackle Bryan Morgan reverse the outcome. On the very next play, Lewis threw a pass right into the hands of Navy cornerback Ketric Buffin, allowing the Midshipmen to take possession and march downfield for Bullen's game-winnner.

"I saw the defensive back bailing out, so me and Eron talked beforehand," Lewis said. "He was like, 'Throw a jump ball,' which I did, and he felt like the dude held him. But [Buffin] made a heck of a play."

Despite struggling on that particular snap, Lewis was phenomenal in the passing game as Duke built up a 36-25 halftime lead. With ample protection and open receivers, Duke's sophomore field general made it look easy at times with Duke relying on the pass-heavy spread offense that propelled them to a win against Northwestern. His 428 yards shattered his previous career best for passing yardage-305 yards against Wake Forest in 2006-and Lewis tacked on a rushing touchdown with a 3-yard scramble in the second quarter.

"We just came out and played with the attitude that you can't be stopped, that you have to come out here and put points on the board," Lewis said. "All the guys felt like that."

Lewis' favorite target on Saturday also had a record-breaking day. In addition to setting personal bests, Riley's 235-yard performance places him fifth at Duke in terms of top all-time single-game receiving efforts, and his four scores tied the school record for touchdowns in a game.

Riley was also involved in a peculiar play in the first quarter that led to Duke's first points. With a Lewis deep ball in the air, Riley was forced out of bounds by a Navy defensive back. After about three steps out of bounds, Riley leapt back onto the playing field and hauled in Lewis' pass just past midfield. Thinking that Riley was ineligible, Navy's defender stopped and held his arms up in protest. Riley hesitated as well, but then raced 40 yards into the end zone realizing the play was still alive. Video replay upheld the touchdown and also served as an aid to Riley on the play.

"I just stood there because I thought that I had heard a whistle," Riley said. "But then I looked at the little big-screen, and I saw someone running after me, so I started taking off."

But in the end, failings in pass defense and special teams doomed Duke. The Blue Devils held the nation's top running attack below its average, but it was the Navy passing game that played a large role in its comeback. Although it ranked last in the nation in passing offense, Navy surprised Duke with a variety of play-action and option passes that put it in position to score from short runs on the ground.

Again, miscues in placekicking caused Duke to miss out on easy points in multiple situations. Kicker Joe Surgan missed the extra point attempt on Duke's first touchdown, prompting Roof to go for two-point conversions on his team's next two touchdowns. Walk-on kicker Greg Myers replaced Surgan in the second quarter and successfully converted Duke's following three extra points, but missed wide right on a 31-yard attempt at the 14:38 mark of the fourth quarter. Roof said after the game that there is "nothing permanent" in regards to his lineup changes at placekicker.

With a 500-plus yard offensive output Saturday, the Blue Devils have shown signs of turning the corner and an ability to win more football games. But for a forlorn Roof on Saturday, his team's development was the least of his concerns.

"The bottom line is that it comes down to what happens-the 'W' or the 'L,'" Roof said. "Yeah, we've made improvement. Yeah, we've made progress. I'd trade it all for a 'W' for our football team."

Share and discuss “Duke drops heartbreaker” on social media.