SPORTS  |  GOLF

Blumenhurst claims 8th individual title

Two-time defending National Player of the Year Amanda Blumenherst captured her eighth career tournament with a 13-under-par 203 at the Mason Rudolph Women's Championship in Franklin, Tenn. The junior's 54-hole total included 14 birdies and set a new school record.

Blumenherst, who signed for rounds of 66-68-69, beat her nearest competitor by four strokes. She led after all three days of the tournament.

"I couldn't be more excited for Amanda," head coach Dan Brooks said. "She was talking about the possibilities as she could have gone a whole lot lower than she did, the way she felt. She is playing that good of golf."

In spite of Blumenherst's performance, the three-time defending national champion Blue Devils finished in third place, behind UCLA and Arizona State, at the 6,217-yard Ironhorse Course. Duke finished at 2-over-par 866, 15 shots behind the Bruins and one stroke behind the Sun Devils.

Sophomore Rebecca Kim posted a 1-under-par 71 Sunday, catapulting her into a tie for 31st on the weekend. She put up a three-day total of 222, third best on the team. Kim followed senior Jennifer Pandolfi, who finished 28th with a 5-over-par 221, and narrowly edged freshman Kim Donovan, who concluded her first college tournament in 36th place.

Duke's next tournament starts a week from Monday, when the Blue Devils will travel to Albuquerque, N.M. for the NCAA Fall Preview. The tournament will be held at the University of New Mexico Championship Golf Course, the same site as this year's national championship in May.

-from staff reports

Share and discuss “Blumenhurst claims 8th individual title” on social media.