SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Lipsher anchors defense

One of Duke's largest problems last year was an inability to score late in the season-but goaltending was never an issue.

Thanks to stalwart goalkeeper Allison Lipsher, Duke remained competitive despite its offensive struggles. Lipsher allowed just 0.89 goals per game last season, notching nine shutouts in 21 contests.

The Honolulu, native is just one of three seniors on a young Duke team, making her experience and leadership even more crucial to the Blue Devils' success.

"Obviously, I definitely have an extra sense of urgency that I haven't had before," Lipsher said. "We've always had potential with this team, and I think sometimes we've come up short from that.... So this year, [we're] definitely just looking to capitalize on the potential that we all know we have."

The four-year starter will be a key component of Duke's success this year. With the backline far from settled-the team has been experimenting with eight players there-the presence of an elite goaltender is even more reassuring.

"We all know that if something breaks down, we have Ali behind us," head coach Robbie Church said. "She is ready. She worked extremely hard during the offseason to prepare for this challenge."

Lipsher has struggled with off-season injuries in past summers, but this year, she remained healthy and was able to focus on her conditioning and skills.

"When she was here [in the offseason,] every time I'd go by the weight room, she was in the weight room," Church said. "Every time I'd go down and I'd see her around the locker room. Ali would come in sweating from running. She just did a fantastic job."

The result of the senior's hard work is that she is in great shape-particularly for a keeper, Church said, adding that Lipsher "blew all the standards out of the water" on the team's nine fitness tests.

She is also executing well so far on the field, not allowing a goal in 88 minutes of preseason action. Lipsher enters the season eight shutouts away from tying the Duke career record.

"[Lipsher] really just shortens up the whole backline for us," defender Christie McDonald said. "Our new thing as a defense is not to get shots off-not to let the other team even have a shot. But I'm pretty confident even if they get a shot off that she'll be able to keep it from the back of the net."

Duke has been working on its offense to prevent a repeat of last year's problems. Whether or not the scoring picks up, the Blue Devils will be leaning on their veteran goaltender to lead them to a successful season-and she will be ready.

"She's going to be called on," Church said. "She knows it."

Share and discuss “Lipsher anchors defense” on social media.