Blue Devils depend on experience and chemistry to drive their offensive effort

After a disappointing 0-12 finish last season, Duke's offense cited its extreme inexperience as the root of its struggles. Now, with a year of play under their belts, the Blue Devils return their entire line-up and are hoping their improved chemistry will translate into more wins.

From the all-important offensive line to the four key running backs to the most prolific returning receiving corps in the ACC (1,579 combined receiving yards between the three starting wideouts), Duke believes this could be its breakout season.

"Experience is the greatest teacher," head coach Ted Roof said. "Having 11 starters back on the offensive side of the ball, the experience should make you better."

Duke will take to the field with six seniors and four juniors, with quarterback Thaddeus Lewis as the lone starting underclassman. Fifth in the ACC among active quarterbacks with 2,134 career passing yards after only one year under center, Lewis has worked hard to improve upon an already impressive tenure, with an eye on increasing his 106.93 efficiency rating and reducing his 16 interceptions from a year ago.

"It's a good feeling to come back with a confidence in yourself that you didn't have last year," Lewis said. "When you practice, you go out there and you put forth maximum effort and you try to get better.... Now you're just ready to go out there and put everything that you learned in practice on the field."

Lewis will have plenty of help from an effective rushing attack that returns its four main contributors. The thunder-and-lightning combination of running backs Justin Boyle and Re'quan Boyette bring a combined 68.1 rushing yards per game from a year ago while Devilback Ronnie Drummer adds a double threat out of the backfield with 39.1 all-purpose yards per game.

Perhaps the biggest surprise last year was fullback Tielor Robinson, who was utilized as a pass option in the flats primarily in goal-line situations. He led the team in touchdown receptions with four but had less than half the number of catches than any of the starting receivers.

Nevertheless, Lewis is thankful to have his starting wideouts back and thinks their shared experience will lead to a cohesive offensive unit.

"We grew as a group together," Lewis said. "To go out on the field knowing that you've been working hard in the offseason and getting that chemistry and getting to know each individual. I've got guys that can make plays when I throw the ball to them."

After catching some flak for dropping too many passes last season, the receivers are looking to redeem themselves with a breakout year. Meanwhile, Lewis hopes to continue to showcase his ability to share the ball as starters Eron Riley, Raphael Chestnut and Jomar Wright hauled in 32, 39, and 40 passes, respectively, last year.

In the offseason, the wideouts worked on reading coverages better and perfecting their timing with Lewis, Riley said.

But with so many weapons, the players realize quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Peter Vaas will have plenty of play-calling strategies to choose from. The Blue Devils are just concerned about the victory.

"Whatever helps us to win games," Riley said. "Whether it's to throw 50 times a game or run 50 times a game, I'm for it. I don't really mind. Don't get me wrong, though, I want the ball. But I want to win more."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils depend on experience and chemistry to drive their offensive effort” on social media.