Alleva reappointed as Director of Athletics

President Richard Brodhead announced Tuesday that Joe Alleva has been reappointed as director of Athletics.

Alleva was retained in light of an extensive report generated this summer by a nine-person review committee comprised of trustees, alumni and faculty and chaired by Trustee Emeritus Harold Yoh, Engineering '58.

Over 150 people commented to the committee on Alleva's job performance, said John Burness, vice president for public affairs and student relations.

Brodhead said "the emphasis on the integrity that [Alleva] has infused in our programs and the central place he gives to the idea of scholar-athletes" was the key factor in granting the Director of Athletics a five-year extension.

"You take all the different parts of what you hear and try to get a sense of what the main lines of the story are," Brodhead said. "I thought the case for Joe Alleva's strengths in the report was very strong and they're very central strengths for a program like ours."

Alleva has been a member of the Department of Athletics since 1980 and has held his position as the director of Athletics since 1998.

"I am excited and honored to be reappointed as the director of this outstanding athletic department," Alleva said in a release. "We have made tremendous progress over the past nine years and there is much more to do."

In the release, Brodhead said that he has asked Alleva to constuct a "comprehensive strategic plan" for Duke Athletics within the next year.

In Alleva's tenure, Duke has won six national championships, 44 ACC championships and has produced 147 All-Americans. Yet there have been several highly-publicized issues that affected the department profoundly, from a steroid scandal in 2005 to the circumstances surrounding the Duke Lacrosse case.

"The situation of college athletics is changing rapidly and in challenging ways," Brodhead said. "We want to be foresightful in being prepared for these changes."

Share and discuss “Alleva reappointed as Director of Athletics” on social media.