Wagoner on Duke, life and not overplanning

The following are selected excerpts from General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner's words to Duke's 2007 graduates at commencement last Sunday.

Let me start by saying, simply, thank you. As a son of Duke for my entire life, I can't imagine a greater honor than giving the commencement address today.

Actually, whenever I speak publicly, I recall a conversation I had some years ago with one of our more famous fellow Duke grads, Grant Hill. Grant and I were preparing to speak at an event... me with several pages of notes, him with nothing. He said, "Hey, Rick you know the five B's of a good speech? Be brief brother, be brief."

And, so, I will be today....

I thought it might be interesting for this year's graduates for me to reflect back on what I was thinking about when I was sitting where you are 32 years ago, and especially on what I may have been missing in my thinking back then, and what that might mean for you today.

I think the most important piece of advice that I can give you from my own experience is simply this... don't overplan your life.

While planning for your future is great, the fact is, things change... and opportunities will arise for you that I suspect you, today, can't even imagine. Do your best at whatever you're doing, but be open to opportunities as they come up....

In my current job, I spend a lot of time traveling to places like India and China and Russia... and I'm confident that many of the major developments that will affect us all in the future, are going to occur in these and other emerging markets around the world.

So, my advice is to be flexible... be open to everything the world has to offer... be global. You'll be amazed at what you can learn, and how you can contribute....

Another thought I want to offer is a simple one-which is that each of you... by virtue of graduating from one of the elite universities in the U.S., indeed in the world... has great capabilities. I urge you to use those capabilities fully.

In my experience... in life and in business, in dealing with education and working with government leaders... there are actually lots of really smart people out there. What distinguishes those who are truly leaders... those who really contribute in government, in medicine, in education, in business, in the arts... is passion and enthusiasm.

You see, being successful in any field, is hard work. Being successful requires not only that you learn everything you can about your chosen field... but that you apply your knowledge with a passion and enthusiasm that affects others and engages them as well.

In today's highly collaborative workplaces, few great things are accomplished by individuals alone. Just like in college basketball, you need great teams... and you need people who can inspire those teams, and lead those teams, to greater heights.

Enthusiasm is contagious. Your goal should be to start the epidemic.

But, I should tell you, that even with knowledge, passion, and contagious enthusiasm... you are going to face some tough challenges... some tough days.

A year and a half ago, some of the so-called "experts" were claiming that General Motors was headed for bankruptcy, and I ought to be fired. Those were some tough days for me. Even great institutions like my... and now your alma mater... Duke University, encounter challenging times, like over the last year.

But the real successful people, the real contributors, the really great institutions, like Duke University and General Motors, have another important characteristic... which is persistence and resilience. No matter how great the challenge, no matter how dark the future seems... the best people, the really successful people, simply do not give up.

I suspect most, if not all, of you, will encounter challenging moments in your careers and your lives... because, I have to tell you, life is not a series of grand slam home runs... there will be moments of great challenge for you.

So my advice is simple-go at life every day with passion and enthusiasm... and when challenges arrive, simply do not give up.

Ultimately, your success in your career, and in your life, will be significantly determined by how you handle the challenges, and what you accomplish despite the hurdles you will inevitably encounter....

And, as you create your own priority lists as you go through life, I'd encourage you, among other things, to make sure that you keep "giving back" to your community high on your list.

You see, as tomorrow's leaders, you have a tremendous opportunity to use your intellect, and passion, and creativity... not only to build great careers and personal lives for yourselves... but also to make a real difference in our society.

I encourage you never to underestimate the impact that you can have on others... to literally make the world a better place. We do that by all getting involved, taking what may seem like small steps, small actions. They all add up.

In my experience, being involved in youth math and science education, especially in Detroit schools, has been tremendously rewarding... and shows me that we can make a difference....

Many people can claim they went to college... but few can say they graduated from Duke University. Be proud of your accomplishment here.... Individually and collectively, you are Duke... we are Duke... and as Blue Devils, we share a unique opportunity, a unique responsibility to make our families and friends proud... to make the world a better place.

Rick Wagoner, Trinity '75, is CEO of General Motors and a member of Duke's Board of Trustees.

The full versions of General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner's and President Richard Brodhead's addresses to the 2007 graduates can be found online at www.dukenews.duke.edu.

Share and discuss “Wagoner on Duke, life and not overplanning” on social media.