Nobel winner may run for Senate

A Nobel Science laureate has never served in the United States Senate.

But that fact did not stop Dr. Peter Agre from forming an exploratory committee last week to evaluate a possible 2008 Senate run in his home state of Minnesota.

Agre, vice chancellor for science and technology and James B. Duke professor of cell biology, received the 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his discovery of water channel proteins called aquaporins. He will take a leave of absence to prepare for what would be his first attempt to run for public office.

"Everybody who knows me well knows that Minnesota is and always has been close to my heart," Agre said in a statement. "Although it will be difficult to take a leave from my duties at Duke, I simply can't pass up this chance to perhaps pursue my long interest in public service for a state that is home to me in many ways."

John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, said Agre feels strongly about his foray into politics and could bring a wealth of information about science and technology issues to Washington.

"[Agre] has made important contributions while he's been at Duke, but he may have important contributions to make elsewhere, and I think the nation would benefit from that," Burness said.

Agre is a founding member of Scientists and Engineers for America, an organization formed in September 2006 to promote the use of science in politics and support candidates who understand science and its applications, according to its website.

He appeared on "The Colbert Report" in October 2006 to raise awareness about SEA and issues of science in politics but was not identified as a Duke faculty member. In an interview with The Chronicle, Agre said his Duke affiliation was not mentioned because the organization wanted to avoid discussion of the lacrosse case and focus on science.

Agre said his extensive contacts within academia could help formulate sensible government policy relating to scientific issues.

"Those in government have great power to make bad decisions," he said, citing the Food and Drug Administration's refusal to make emergency contraception available over the counter as an example.

Agre said he would like government to focus more on issues like stem cell research than on the Iraq war and cited universal healthcare as his primary concern.

"In the post-Iraq era, we will be dealing with the same issues we didn't figure out at the millennium," he said. "The United States is the only developed country that does not provide healthcare to all of its citizens, and that's a problem."

Agre said universal healthcare is important because when companies can no longer afford the cost of their workers' healthcare, they will lay off employees.

He added that his disabled brother was laid off from a custodial position with St. Paul, Minn.-based 3M Corporation when the company hired an outside contractor to provide low-cost, part-time workers without healthcare benefits.

Agre said that fundraising and gathering support within Minnesota's Democratic party, known as the Democratic Farmer Labor Party, will be critical in mounting a serious campaign.

Bill Flannigan, retired professor of political science at the University of Minnesota, said it may be hard for Agre to form a support organization since he has not lived in Minnesota or been active in DFL for much of his time at Duke. He joined the University in 2005 after more than 25 years at Johns Hopkins University.

Other Democratic candidates for the seat held by Republican Norm Coleman include comedian Al Franken and trial lawyer Mike Ciresi. Ciresi gained fame in 1998 by helping to secure a $6-billion settlement for Minnesota in its case against the tobacco industry.

Franken, like Agre, has spent much of the past few years outside Minnesota. None of the three candidates has prior experience in office.

Share and discuss “Nobel winner may run for Senate” on social media.