Lax families arrive, dismissals rumored

The families of the three former players accused in the lacrosse case are beginning to return to the Triangle area, as ABC News reports that the remaining charges will be dropped.

Reade Seligmann arrived at Raleigh-Durham International Airport Tuesday afternoon with his family.

Kevin Finnerty, father of accused former player Collin Finnerty, told reporters he would arrive in Raleigh Tuesday evening.

Parents of the players could not confirm details of the potential announcement, however.

Members of several national news organizations, including CBS News anchor Katie Couric, have come to the Triangle to cover this story, The Chronicle has learned.

Noelle Talley, a spokesperson for North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper's office, said Tuesday afternoon that no announcement about the state's decision in the case had yet been scheduled.

Two state prosecutors took over the case from Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong Jan. 12, when Nifong recused himself from the case. Prosecutors James Coman and Mary Winstead were appointed to review the case and meet with witnesses, defense attorneys and investigators.

"There is some hope that there might be an answer from the attorney general this week at some point," Wade Smith, Finnerty's defense attorney, told The Associated Press Tuesday. "If that should happen, then we want to have them here."

Finnerty, Seligmann and David Evans, Trinity '06, were indicted April 18, 2006 for rape, sexual offense and kidnapping of an exotic dancer hired to perform at an off-campus party thrown by the lacrosse team March 13.

Rape charges against the three players were dropped Dec. 22.

After stepping down from the case, Nifong has been brought before the North Carolina State Bar on charges of ethics violations that could cost him his law license. His next hearing is scheduled for April 13.

Share and discuss “Lax families arrive, dismissals rumored” on social media.