Junior passes away

Junior Chris Sanders was found dead in his Kilgo Quadrangle dormitory early Tuesday morning, University administrators confirmed Tuesday afternoon. He was 20 years old.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, notified students in an e-mail that Sanders had passed away and that "initial indications" suggested that no foul-play was involved.

Duke University Police Department is the primary investigator in the case, said Sara-Jane Raines, administrative officer for DUPD. She added that the cause of death was unknown.

Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said Sanders' room will be sealed off by police until the investigation has concluded.

The New Haven, Conn., native was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity, a diver on the men's swim team and a member of the First-Year Advisory Council board.

Wasiolek said staff from the Office of Student Affairs are in the process of meeting with the different organizations of which Sanders was a member.

"Our focus has really been to notify the parents and now to work with all of Chris's friends on campus," she said.

Two administrators from student affairs--Clay Adams, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, and Todd Adams, assistant dean of students for fraternity and sorority life--are leaving a conference early to fly back to campus tonight in order to be with students.

Sanders was an art history/visual arts major and graduated from Notre Dame High School in 2004.

Check the Chronicle Online for continuing updates throughout the day as more information becomes available.

Share and discuss “Junior passes away” on social media.