Harding takes home Naismith NPOY award

The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Monday that Lindsey Harding was named the 2007 Naismith Trophy Women's College Player of the Year.

The Duke senior became the first female Blue Devil to earn the The Naismith Award, which is given annually to the men's and women's players of the year and is widely considered the most prestigious award in college basketball.

Harding adds the honor to an already impressive list of awards. The senior has already been named the ACC Player of the Year and the national Defensive Player of the Year, as well as ESPN.com's player of the year.

The 5-foot-8 point guard won the Naismith Trophy after leading Duke to a perfect 29-0 regular season and averaging 14.0 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game.

She was chosen by a selection committee that includes basketball journalists, coaches and administrators. Fan voting also accounted for 25 percent of the total.

Harding was on hand Monday to accept her award at the Women's Basketball Coaches Association luncheon in Cleveland, Ohio-site of the women's Final Four.

"Lindsey Harding has meant so much to our program and for her to receive the Naismith Trophy is tremendous," head coach Gail Goestenkors said in a statement. "She had an incredible year for us as she stepped up in every way from scoring, leadership and on the defensive end. This national award for Lindsey caps off an excellent career and is well-deserved."

Player of the Year awards have been split this year, with Oklahoma's Courtney Paris taking Associated Press Player of the Year and Candace Parker of Tennessee earning the Wade Trophy.

Harding will be on hand Wednesday along with teammate Alison Bales for the 2007 WNBA Draft in Cleveland.

Share and discuss “Harding takes home Naismith NPOY award” on social media.