Anderson provides 'key' to success

Duke's offense has struggled at times this season, but the Blue Devils always have a reliable player to turn to when they need to get something started-senior Jonathan Anderson.

Anderson, who hits second, pitches and plays in the outfield, is third on the team with a .331 average this season, and his speed and bunting abilities make him one of Duke's most effective players. Anderson's unique skills will once again be on display tonight as the Blue Devils (25-17) take on Campbell (9-33) tonight at 7 p.m. at Jack Coombs Field in non-conference action.

"He's done just about everything for us-he plays great defense, he finds a way to get on base, he's been pitching more of late," head coach Sean McNally said. "We talk all the time about him being the best bunter in the country. It's a big key for us because he gets it down, gets it in play, flies down the line, and a lot of times it ends up as a sacrifice [but] sometimes it's a hit. But it allows us to put pressure on the defense."

Anderson's speed-he is tied for the team lead with 13 steals-gives him the capability to beat out any bunt, making it a legitimate weapon for him. He generally tries to bunt a couple times a game.

"Bunting is definitely a big part of my game," Anderson said. "I know I run pretty well, and I'm just trying to make things happen, move some runners. That's just the way I play. Hopefully we can string hits together by me doing something like that and open up some holes and some other guys can get going, too."

With an ERA of 2.25, Anderson has also been a valuable member of the Duke pitching staff. He has started four games for the Blue Devils, while also recording three saves in 11 appearances.

And as one of only two seniors on the team, his leadership has proven invaluable for Duke. He and Tony Bajoczky have done a great job guiding the young Blue Devils this season, McNally said.

Anderson's leadership and bunting ability could be key tonight when Duke hosts the Fighting Camels.

The Blue Devils will need to score a lot of runs to keep up with the Campbell offense-which was enough to outlast No. 3 North Carolina April 17, as the Fighting Camels won 7-5 in 11 innings.

Campbell stayed competitive on offense in its first meeting with Duke March 27, but the Blue Devils outscored them 11-7.

Another key for Duke-if he is available-could be Anderson's fellow reliever, closer Mike Seander. Despite being just a freshman, Seander is quickly climbing up the school records list.

After throwing three perfect innings Sunday against Maryland to record his eighth save of the year, Seander moved into a tie for third on the single-season save list and a tie for sixth on the career save list.

Seander, who possesses a 1.18 ERA in 22 appearances, was one of 40 pitchers recently named to the midseason watch list for the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Stopper of the Year Award, given to the best relief pitcher in college baseball.

"It's been a really solid freshman season," Seander said. "I just try to be as confident as possible, throw a lot of strikes [and] be aggressive."

Share and discuss “Anderson provides 'key' to success” on social media.