Florida bound to 'repeat as champions

Florida can't sneak into the big dance unnoticed again.

After going into last year's tournament as an unheralded No. 3 seed and sailing through the Final Four, the Gators have a bullseye on their backs as they attempt to become the first team since Duke in 1991-1992 to repeat as National Champions.

But even without the element of surprise, Florida can go all the way because of one key element-balance. All five of the Gators' starters returned this season, with players like 2006 NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player Joakim Noah and big man Al Horford forgoing first round NBA contracts for another shot at cutting down the nets.

Much of Florida's strength comes from its frontline, where both Noah and Horford average over 12 points and 8 rebounds a game. Their steady scoring inside is a large reason behind the Gators' rank as the nation's top team in field goal percentage and the ninth-best team in rebound margin.

In addition to this pair, versatile small forward Corey Brewer, who has bounced back from a December bout of mononucleosis to average 12.7 points per game, gives the Gators a set of big men that would be difficult for any team to handle.

The real X-factor for Florida, however, might be shooting guard Lee Humphrey. The then-junior guard hit 10 three-point shots in last year's Final Four, putting games against George Mason and UCLA out of reach. Humphrey's hot hand has carried over into this season. He currently ranks ninth in the NCAA in three point percentage, shooting 45.5 percent from behind the arc.

Many doubters have pointed to Florida's recent struggles-the Gators have lost three of their last five-as a reason to doubt their chances. Still, Florida weathered a three game losing streak at a similar point in last season's run to the national championship. As history proves, a late-season swoon is no reason to count out the Gators.

Share and discuss “Florida bound to 'repeat as champions” on social media.