Blue Devils feel sting of winless ACC slate

When Georgia Tech hits, it wins-but when the Yellow Jackets struggle at the plate, they are very vulnerable.

Naturally, as the Blue Devils (17-7, 0-6 in the ACC) enter a three-game series with Georgia Tech (12-10, 3-3) this weekend at Jack Coombs Field, they will focus on stopping a potent Yellow Jacket offense.

"They've got a good offense," head coach Sean McNally said. "That's one of the traditional things about Georgia Tech-they can really swing the bats. I think the formula will be that we'll be aggressive on the mound, we'll go after them and try to use our defense."

The Yellow Jackets are a perfect 6-0 when they hit .315 or better, but they are just 6-10 when they hit below that mark.

Their offense was a key in their 10-0 victory over Boston College March 16, and Georgia Tech went on to take two of three from the Eagles-a team that swept Duke in the Blue Devils' first conference series.

"It just comes to making pitches, especially being able to throw more than one pitch for a strike," pitcher Tony Bajoczky said. "Being able to throw curveballs, changeups-just keep them off-balance."

The Blue Devils may need to rely on their home-field advantage if they hope to halt a 19-game losing streak-which dates back to April 7, 2001-to Georgia Tech. The all-time series between the two teams dates back to 1903, when Duke was still Trinity College.

This season, the Yellow Jackets are 1-3 on the road and have yet to play any ACC road games.

"It's just always better to play at home-it's always more comfortable," McNally said. "We'd rather play them at home than away, but we know they're going to be tough either way. It's a good team, but we are glad we're playing at home, no question."

The Blue Devils are 15-3 at Jack Coombs Field, but they were swept at No. 7 Clemson last weekend and are still searching for their first ACC win.

"We just need to relax," said Brett Bartles, who has hit four home runs in the last five games. "We're a good enough team across the board. We just get a little intimidated, I think, trying to get that first ACC win."

Duke's next ACC series is against No. 2 Florida State, making this weekend even more important. If the Blue Devils are unable to get on track in conference play against Georgia Tech, they will have an even tougher time next weekend against the Seminoles.

"We know they're going to get some hits, because it's a good team and good hitters," McNally said of the Yellow Jackets. "The key for us is to minimize big innings and just keep competing and keep going after them all the way through the series."

Freshman Alexander Hassan (2-0) will take the mound for the for the Blue Devils Friday, opposing the Yellow Jackets' David Duncan (4-2). Bajoczky (3-2) will get the nod for Duke Saturday against John Goodman (1-0).

Share and discuss “Blue Devils feel sting of winless ACC slate” on social media.